Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donzi, Did You know!

Default Donzi, Did You know!

in light of recent posts and urban legends circulating on the web i would like to start a history/FAQs section thread to accumulate the correct information on our boats, Donzi, and Don A. or anyone else involved back then. I have gathered a ton of trivia info over the past years doing the trivia quiz at the dustoff but I would like to keep in all in one place and have it added to by our members if you think you have a factoid or any historic info on any thing pertaining to this please post up, info on models production numbers options,stories please post it up

I'll start with a few

Donzi , the name came by way of an article in a magazine that called the interior of the formula boats Don was building at the time were very nice and fashionable, a review far too girly for a macho guy like Don, when Don's friend and record producer Morris Levy read the article he was ribbing Don on it , in a falsetto voice Oh Donzi what a lovely interior hence the name Donzi . (From Michael Aronow author of "Don Aronow King of Thunderboat Row" page 38 and 40)

Donzi was started in 1964 with 3 models the 28, the hornet and the 16 the fishing version of the hornet the st tropez was added soon after

the 28 was not produced on 188th st as it was too big

the 16 was called a ski sporter up until it was dropped from production in the 80's it was given the nickname sweet 16 after it was reintroduced in 1990

the 18 2+3 is the longest model in production in Donzi line up 1965 to present and as such it has also seen the most incarnations
    barrelback sharp keel, classic round keel , corsican, X 18, one outboard model, LE, Testarosa, Anniversary editions

so anyone else got one
    Last edited by mattyboy; 12-08-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Great great great idea!

great idea matty, if i can be of any help, please let me know.
    " Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php

yes everyone can lend a hand got a factoid post it up

some more info on the 16

the first right hand helm 16 was not the sweet 16 1990 but the baby OB 16 late 1960's

the first 2+2 16 appeared in 1995 with the 30th annivesary boats after that it became an option on the 16

In the 1970's the USCG rated the 16 ski sporter at 5 persons so it was really a 1 + 4 not a 1+3

by early 1967 some 400 16 hulls had been built roughly 130 hulls a year average at that point, more than 10 boats a month yeah they were pushing them out the door !!!

the 16 was one of the first donzi's to be used in military operations as the Israeli army used it as an armed drone in 1967
    Last edited by mattyboy; 11-14-2007 at 06:33 AM.

armed drone?! I cant tell whehter the cool factor is greater for that or the shock that a 16 might be wasted in some sort of conflict. Anyway, really cool info matty, where did you hear about that?
    " Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

I have a little more info on the z series than the classics, but here are a few donzi random bits of trivia.

The critter molds went with the sale from chisolms to staples in 1985. Not sure what happened to the molds, but they were offered under the new ownership. Problem was that no one wanted them, so the critter was not even included in the catalog and eventually not offered. What a shame IMHO.

The first classic sold under the staples era was to Malcolm Forbes to use as a tender on his yacht (not his first donzi tender and I believe he still has at least one on his yacht today). a bit more trivia, he had a check hand delivered for the 22, and when the sales person brought the check and contract to mgmt, Genth got mad, yelled at the guy and told him we do not take personal checks, how do we know it is good? Duh gee ralph, it is malcolm forbes, I am guessing he is probably good for it, maybe we can bend the rules this one time?

The Z series was designed by probably the most brilliant boat designers of the 70's, 80's and 90's, Don Westerman (not by whomever is listed on the other donzi site). Westerman designed boats, or had his designs copied by nearly every major boat manufacturer during that 30 year period. Don died a couple of years ago, and it was one of the greatest losses to the boating world in modern times, it is just a shame he did not attain the recognition he truly deserved.

Although the Blackhawks are listed as producing only 40, the number is actually 37 or 38. However, the guy who bought the last one produced, asked to have the HIN stamped ti indicate it was #40. There have been a couple of 22's converted into blackhawks but are not actual BH's.

Lots more info about the ownership transition from chisolm to staples to OMC here starting with post #12 http://www.donzi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88&highlight=donzi+marine
    Last edited by fish; 11-17-2007 at 11:32 AM.

great post fish

Donzi's logo has changed over the years too
    the Prop logo as on our home page was used until full Chisholm ownership they are credited with the lion and dolphin logo (rumor was mercedes benz didn't like the similarity of the prop and the laurel leaves in a circular logo to their logo)

The metal script Donzi Marine adorned the boats' gunwales until 1968

The flags used on the early boats pre 1971 were indicative of the country in which races were won

USA the Miami Nassau

British Cowes/ Nassau

Swedish Getinloppet

after 1971 the boats wore the US and lion and dolphin decals

the white decal with the black DONZI left the boats sometime in 76-77 and didn't re appear until 2004 for the 40th annivesary editions during it's absence the DONZI was either done in silver or gold with no background
    Last edited by mattyboy; 11-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    armed drone?! I cant tell whehter the cool factor is greater for that or the shock that a 16 might be wasted in some sort of conflict. Anyway, really cool info matty, where did you hear about that?
    I'm thinking it comes under the $478 dollar paper dispenser budget of the military...

Bunches,

Celene 'looking for a 16 at the Army Surplus'

I was always wondering when and why Donzi started offering the 18 and x-18 in both port and starboard helms in teh mid 70's. I know the port helm boats were volvo and the starboard boats usually merc TRS drives. but why did they offer both configurations at the same time. and when did they switch to all starboard helms on teh 18's.?????????
    1978 Donzi X-18
    SBC, Volvo 280T

well if your gonna make a lh and a rh helm boat the 18 is the one to do it in just a matter of where you drill the holes not where the seats are , around that time mid 70's merc started it's stronghold on the I/O business, could be a business decision as not exceed credit limit with one vendor or start a new credit line with a new vendor???
    Last edited by mattyboy; 11-19-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Customer preference once the Mercs came along.. My X is a LH Merc boat...

The other Scott

Life is short. Play with your dog

Co-Founder Donzi Marine Restoration Society
    Scarred member KWOSG
    Dumbfounded Member SBBR / WAFNC

Criterion SS+
    X-18
    16-OB
    Z-235

That would make sense , by then i bet merc had a few racing victories

I forget the trs went both ways

Actually, the TRS is rotation specific.. Different gear sets, different prop shafts on the CR unit....

The other Scott

Life is short. Play with your dog

Co-Founder Donzi Marine Restoration Society
    Scarred member KWOSG
    Dumbfounded Member SBBR / WAFNC

Criterion SS+
    X-18
    16-OB
    Z-235

thought it was done in the tranny???

No, same tranny...

The other Scott