PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island 2011 ... about time

Lenny
06-17-2011, 02:38 AM
I have NO idea the interest level in this but I can say say it will be a blast, and some of my Southerner brothers will be blown away.

Roadtrip is in , ( even if he doesn't know it. ) I am trying to get Poodle and Buizilla up as well. Lots of notice. It will be a fast boat, A-dock theme, with BIG fish in the middle offshore.

I can locally to the Cottage supply an X-18, an LE 18, a Boston Whaler, a really ****ty boat with a Merc 25, a Whitewater with a pair 200's Yammys and the rest of the folks vary from similar to 22's, Whippled 22's, Scarabs and such. NO shortage of boats, all that is missing is the faces and fun.

THIS HAS TO FINALLY HAPPEN.

I have room for about 6 in my Cottage. There is lots and lots of water ( fresh ) to shower in ( hot ). I have an acre of waterfront. No shortage of land. Think it, bring it, ( no guns :) ) I would REALLY love to see some of my Southern folks here for a weekend.

Think about it.

My goal is , GO FAST, drop some Dungenous traps , GO FAST, have a great lunch or two on more than one or two days, pick up the traps, eat the SALMON that we caught, eat the crab, .... repeat...

This is a resort town, no shortage of amentities or accomodation for those not local or on Island. The island is about 10 minutes from hotels with a 9.9 Merc or 1.45 MINUTES FROM THE LARGE ISLAND in the DONZI :D
Lots of time ... :) Vancouver is about 1 hour away by boat. 1.5 by Ferry. It's all here :) except the Stanley Cup :D
SEPT 16- SEPT 19 2011

boxy
06-17-2011, 08:41 AM
:speed:Lenny, make it an Annual and I'll be there in 2012....
I'm already booked for a week long National conference in downtown Van September 2012. I'll be coming for a visit before the conference starts...

fogducker
06-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Hell of an idea Lenny..... I can offer accomodation for at least two, we have a reasonabley nice guest room at the "farm" and I can transport anybody from almost anywhere.....we also have a small Zodiac that anybody can use if they feel like exploring.......:big:

I also have the Scarab for those that don't mind travelling in a non-Aronow boat.....

I am sure we can also round up some local prawns and a few home-grown steaks for those that might get hungry......:bbq3:

Lenny, let me know what I can do to help to make this happen........:CA7:

roadtripse
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Putting in for the vacation days, booking flights shortly.

MadPoodle
06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
I am penciling dates in at this stage, my summer plans are complicated as of the moment :( :(

fogducker
06-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I am penciling dates in at this stage, my summer plans are complicated as of the moment :( :(

Not pencil, Jiffy marker.......:h3:

MadPoodle
06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Complicated" is the understatement of the century....

4823"

fogducker
06-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Complicated" is the understatement of the century....

4823"

Point taken....just get up here....:feedme:

thriller
06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Life's Short....Make Time....If there are not people in place...... to take your place ......then you either got the wrong people or you need some....Just Saying

This would mean the World to Lenny if you all could make it

RickSE
07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Is this still on? I'd like to come up but not sure if we could make it this year since we don't currently have passports. I really, really want to come back up north with the family.

Yeller
08-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Jeremy just pointed me to this thread. It was the deciding factor in getting my boat running now or next spring. Parts order is going in tomorrow.

I live in Victoria, BC on the waterfront. (Sorry no dock, but I do have lots of beer ). Anyone is welcome to stay if they like and I'll have room for 2~3 on the boat. Lenny's place is short trip from the launch.

RT, my tabless boat awaits you. :willy: ;) Seriously though, I'm always game for some go-fast driving tips.

Rick, you might be able to get your passports in time. We can get ours done in about 2 weeks up here.

There is some seriously great boating up here. You would not leave disappointed.

roadtripse
08-12-2011, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Yeller;20643]

RT, my tabless boat awaits you. :willy: ;) Seriously though, I'm always game for some go-fast driving tips.

QUOTE]

I look forward to meeting you. I would love to see your boat and get a ride, too, tabless or not. They don't call me the "Donzi-Whisperer" for nothing.. kidding.:h3:

Just finsihed up my itinerary the other day, by purchasing my ferry tickets from Seattle. Now, where is the rest of the cast of normal characters?

fogducker
08-12-2011, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=Yeller;20643]

QUOTE]

I look forward to meeting you. I would love to see your boat and get a ride, too, tabless or not. They don't call me the "Donzi-Whisperer" for nothing.. kidding.:h3:

Just finsihed up my itinerary the other day, by purchasing my ferry tickets from Seattle. Now, where is the rest of the cast of normal characters?

I take it you are coming across from Port Angeles to Victoria on the Coho ferry? Or are you taking the walk on Clipper ferry? Either way, very pretty trip, looking forward to meeting all that turn up.....:CA8:

PS. I have seats available for those that can stomach a "non-Donzi" ride.....:bye:

MadPoodle
08-12-2011, 11:28 AM
It's on my "buy another expensive last minute plane ticket" list.. Fingers and toes crossed, but I need to redo some busines stuff that fell apart after Chattanooga before I can commit..

Bag partially packed already, have passport..

Yeller
08-12-2011, 02:33 PM
RT, if you're taking the ferry to Victoria, I live/work only a few minutes from the ferry. Don't know what you have planned once you land, but if you need someone to pick you up, give me a call. I PM'd you my #.

.......aren't you called the Donzi-Whisperer because no one ever hears you talk about what's really in that engine of yours? :)

Poodle, sent you my # as well. Whether you fly into Vic or take the ferry, it's not far for me to pick you up.

roadtripse
08-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Booked on the Clipper, Foggy.

Thanks for the #s Yeller. Got them in my contacts.

Going to be good...

fogducker
08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Booked on the Clipper, Foggy.

Thanks for the #s Yeller. Got them in my contacts.

Going to be good...

Awesome way to travel, I think you will be surprised how fast the ferry is....:h3:

Do you know where you are staying etc?

Owen
08-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Ha Ha....? :)

I'm going to have a serious talk with my boss tomorrow. :)

roadtripse
08-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Awesome way to travel, I think you will be surprised how fast the ferry is....:h3:

Do you know where you are staying etc?

Figured I would be staying somewhere on the Lenny compound or island. I'm flexible.

fogducker
08-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Less then a month to go folks......:h3:

RickSE
08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
If we can get our pasports through in time we'll come up, it's gonna be tight though. This is something I've wanting to do for a few years now.

Lenny
08-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Figured I would be staying somewhere on the Lenny compound or island. I'm flexible.

I got "beds" for 5 including me and Deneen... at the Cottage.

Which is where we'll be :D

the "usual cast" is still playing lung games at the Hospital ... tonight at 7pm to be exact. :(

I will have the Whitewater, LE, and X-18 ( dangerous ) available as well as the 11' Whaler and a couple of other things.

Donziweasel
08-19-2011, 05:50 PM
As one of the few southern contigency (I am from the south despite my current address)to have made this trip in the past, all I can say is you will be blown away. Fantastic scenary, fantastic boating, fantastic people....... :)

While I did not have the opportunity to stay at Lenny's cottage, I can't recommend the hotel I stayed at enough. Great accomodations, right on the water, within walking distance of shops, marina, and resturants. Price was not too bad for the ammenities and location either. I forgot the name but Lenny or Deneen could tell you.

I am with Steve, make this an annual trip and I am there next year. For those of you who have the ability to go, GO! You will regret it if you don't! :)

Have fun guys, I am jealous as hell. I will put a link on OSO, Hotboat, Donzi.net, Serious Offshore, etc.... for this thread.....NOT! :)

fogducker
08-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Even I am looking forward to it and I live here...!!!!:Confus1:

I really hope as many as possible can make it, we understand life gets in the way but if there is a glimmer of hope to make it, DO.....

As others have pointed out, there is loads of places to stay, transportation, either by land or water is abundantly available and food etc will be laid on.....:feedme:

Only problem I have is Yeller will be in my boat the whole time.....:Eye::grin:

Lenny
08-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I have been in Miami in February and it is NICE. Temps in the 80's etc.

Our humidity , albut high, is not noticable. Dress for January in Florida. Bring a windbreaker, jeans etc. It "might" be in the high 70's but no guarantees. The water will be about 47-49F at that time. You do not want to fall in it all that much. The air 1" off of the water is a similar temp. Add a 70 mph boat into the mix with no windshield and you get the idea.

We are used to it and we don't see a whole lot of bikinis... Think Lake Cumberland at AOTH time but no humidity and COLD water.

The whales like it tho :)

:D

thriller
08-19-2011, 10:48 PM
What's the docking facilites like on Piers? How many boats, length etc..Tents ok?
What to bring? Is there a smoker on Piers?:Confus1:

Lenny
08-20-2011, 12:20 AM
I have three mooring bouys, and there is room to double up at the Local dock for maybe two boats. So say 5 out of harms way. Tents are fine. I have a spot at a marina as well that would be suitable for an 18. We can also moor at this same marina in guest slips for a couple/few nights as well and it is only about 32 seconds away from the cottage in the Donzi, similar in the Whitewater :D

Yeller
08-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Only problem I have is Yeller will be in my boat the whole time.....:Eye::grin:Are you kidding me!! Do you really think I'd be seen in a Scarab when there are Donzi's around.:D Motor parts will be here next week so I'll be up 'n' running by then.
Rick, hope you can make it. Do you plan to fly in.....or pull the boat.:shift:

Donziweasel
08-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Give that Scarab boy some hell Glen! :)

roadtripse
08-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Heck, I'll ride in the Scarab as long as he cooks some of those morsels I've seen him post in the Diner...

fogducker
08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Give that Scarab boy some hell Glen! :)

He can't ....... all his motor parts are in MY garage and WE will be doing the install............he has to be nice to me at least until the McDonzi is up and running............:pope::speed::thumbs

fogducker
08-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Heck, I'll ride in the Scarab as long as he cooks some of those morsels I've seen him post in the Diner...

LMAO.....the Scarab is not that bad......I am sure you will be well fed and watered.............:grill3:

PS. I will need you on the Scarab to tie off the Donzi tow rope.........I believe Thriller is the only one I haven't towed......:h3:

Lenny
08-21-2011, 11:07 AM
No smoker on Piers Mike. Outdoor fires are out of bounds anyway at this time of year. After Oct14th we are good again. This island is like a 3' deep pile of kindling and underbrush.

Need a REAL count of the folks soon as I had planned a fishing ( salmon ) charter for about three ??? )

fogducker
08-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Your gonna fit three with all their gear on this...?

Yeller
08-21-2011, 10:09 PM
LMAO.....the Scarab is not that bad......I am sure you will be well fed and watered.............:grill3:

PS. I will need you on the Scarab to tie off the Donzi tow rope.........I believe Thriller is the only one I haven't towed......:h3:Hey!!! I was pushing you, remember. That's what did my motor in!

The Scarab is great. 23SCS. It was on the top of my list when boat shopping. Just couldn't find one.

Lenny, is the marina walking distance from your place? I'd probably rent a spot for one night and just sleep on the boat.

Lenny
08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Nope, the "Marina" is Canoe Cove. A 32 second bat ride away. The local ( on island ) Government dock will probably only fit about 2 rafted boats to be safely away from the others.

thriller
08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I lay claim to one of those buoys....Not sure if I'm bringing the Blackhawk or the Shammie..Nice to have a choice....The Shamrock burns more fuel than the Donzi so maybe that will be the deciding factor. Is there still fuel at Canoe Cove?

Lenny count me in...WE get home from Disneyland on the 10th...Looks like I will be coming Solo at this point ,as my bride will be flying(flight attendant) This could be FUN..Like really Fun..Check List Beer,Steak,cereal Milk cooler,Rye, Smoke salmon,Coke (as in Coca Cola) Cigars, lighter,couple pairs or underwear and my toothbrush. Fishing Rod....Life jacket.............. I'm so in

Yeller
08-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Boat may not be running for this.....which sucks, but I'll be there for at least 1 day and night. I'll sleep on the boat if I have it, otherwise...make room in the tent Mike. I like to snuggle.:happy:

Lenny
08-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Mike, fuel everywhere. Canoe Cove, Montague Harbour, Saturna Island, Poets Cove, Van Isle, the list goes on and on.

Pray for big sun :D and bring the Donzi.

RickSE
08-25-2011, 03:41 PM
...Rick, hope you can make it. Do you plan to fly in.....or pull the boat.:shift:

We're not going to make it, unless you guys can sneak us back across the border some how. We've just had too much going on lately and haven't been able to turn in our passport apps. I really don't see how we could get them in time now.

If you do this again next year we'll come up w/boat.

thriller
08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Looks like Adelson might be able to make it as well with his Cherry Aronow 22:boating:

Yeller
08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Well, looks as if I'll be boatless. ****! A Donzi gathering in my backyard and I'll have to ride in a Scarab. Oh the humiliation....:big:

Raylar sent me the wrong engine parts.
This added delay was the final nail in the coffin of the HO rebuild.
I'm sending it all back to Raylar. Ray said he'd fully refund and pay for shipping, so I hope he's a stand up guy an honors his word. :crossfing:

That's too bad you can't make it Rick. Was looking forward to seeing you again. Hopefully next year.

fogducker
08-26-2011, 01:54 PM
We could always just tow your Donzi around? Not like it hasn't been done before................:h3:

Sorry to hear about the parts Glen, I also apologize about being short on the phone the other day, I was balls deep in water, my well room had an "incident"......:bye:

You can get the taxes back that you paid, on the back of the Customs form are the directions, long winded process but worth it for what you paid, obviously your out the Seawings costs but everything else you should get back.....what engine should I keep my eyes open for...?????

MadPoodle
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Bummer..

Sorry to hear that Glenn.

Lenny
09-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I need to get some numbers on this. SOON.

It can house AFTER Deneen and I and Todd are "tucked in" , about 4 more semi-comfortably. Millions can tent outside if need be.

I also NEED to know WHEN you plan to arrive and vacate. We can get some guest slips at the Marina a minute boat ride away for additional vessels and I can run you back and forth in the AM and evening.

MadPoodle
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Can't. Tried my best, but I'm out Lenny..

MIKEO
09-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Id really love 2 also, but just cant swing the funds. House is getting a new roof. But, Kill us with lots and lots of PIC's. Because, V I is "totally" spectaular!

Yeller
09-10-2011, 04:12 AM
I'm in for a day. I can't do more than that because I'll just be getting back from a week of holidays and I'll have to get back to the stores.

I still need to talk to Jeremy to find out when he plans on going (as he's my ride), but I'd like to stay one of the nights as well. I'm more than ok tenting, except I gave away all my camp gear when we moved. If there's no room at the inn, but a tent available, I'm good.

Todd, if you're planning on heading straight to Lenny's (from the ferry), I can pick you up and get you to Sidney which is about 30mins up island. Lenny will have to pick you up by boat from there because the 22 is just too slow under "paddle power". :titanic: Give me a call and let me know what your plans are.

silverghost
09-10-2011, 10:08 AM
You guys are pretty brave to be sleepng outside in a tent with the pet Tiger lurking in Lenny's vacation island neighborhood ; )
:big: :h3:

fogducker
09-11-2011, 12:58 PM
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-85_metric_e.html

:CA8:

Lenny
09-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Glen, I'll pick Todd up as I have to get Deneen anyways as she is flying back from Quebec and lands at 6:30pm so I am in the vacinity. Friday or Satueday night would work Glen INSIDE the house but you would be on the floor on an air matress or the couch or ... something :)

You would need to bring bedding. ( favorite pillow etc ;) )

thriller
09-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Arriving Friday sometime leaving depends on a couple things but spending friday night for sure and I'm working on Sat night with a Sunday departure..

Lenny
09-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Make it early Mike. I think a number of us are going for a run.

thriller
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Is Todd arriving Friday nite? I am hoping to Buzz across the Straight early before the 10 footers start rolling. Might stop in
Active Pass and drop a line in for a bit:fish3:

Lenny
09-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Is Todd arriving Friday nite? I am hoping to Buzz across the Straight early before the 10 footers start rolling. Might stop in
Active Pass and drop a line in for a bit:fish3:

Todd AND Stan will be here Thursday night :D Friday MORN is a run I believe weather pending. Today, all but 80F, Friday, 61 F :eek:

Lenny
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
2 dozen farm eggs from you for this weekend :D

fogducker
09-11-2011, 08:06 PM
No problem on the eggs......hey Todd, we plan some extra activities for you........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

I think Poodle will appreciate this.....after his Jetman video......:big:

MadPoodle
09-11-2011, 09:03 PM
After his flight, he might be ready for that Foggy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTu0jhqqPE&

Lenny
09-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Pretty much 80'sF last week. Now we are at 67 :( Looks like we might get some sun tho. :)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cabc0313?ref=homecity

roadtripse
09-13-2011, 11:17 PM
I am ready for whatever you guys can bring. Stan ain't no amateur either....

fogducker
09-14-2011, 03:12 AM
I am ready for whatever you guys can bring. Stan ain't no amateur either....

Busting out an extra couple of Mustang survival suits, goggles and touques..........:CA8::grin:

Ghost
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Have fun up there this week. Lenny, thanks much for the offer. Really wish I could swing it but I can't find a way. -Mike

Lenny
09-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Next time Mike.

Hey Foggy, Glen, Mike and whomever else local. Bring steaks or what you want on the BBQ. We'll supply the Southerners as Meat is not allowed through the Border and we kinda wanna feed them anyway. ( well, actually Deneen does, I was just gonna keep them watered. )

Jeremy, we need EGGS from your farm. :D

Deneen will shop on Friday locally in the am. We got something for dinner on Thursday night. And friday am breaky looked after prior to shopping. Deneen gets in from Quebec just after Todd and Stan arrive by boat. The 4 of us will be one big happy family going over on Thursday evening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8lEFNrh_QY

roadtripse
09-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Busting out an extra couple of Mustang survival suits, goggles and touques..........:CA8::grin:

Should I pack this harpoon and deep water diving gear sitting here, too?

Seriously, appreciate whatever the locals can provide to make things a little more comfortable on the water.

thriller
09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Weather update? for the straight? Steaks bought....Rye packed.cigars lighter, forgot the tent down at the Lake..Might need a couch
Look out for Rooster as I'm not quite sure where you are on Piers. I think facing the Ferry terminal with a Canadian Flag. Maybe you could raise the Donzi Flag..

Lenny
09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Canadian flag on top, BC below. You got a half bunk bed. Stan will be above or below you. You got the rest right. Now hurry up and get here. Weather shouldn't be all that bad.

Lenny
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
:) had to go to Port renfrew today ( middle of nowhere, bear country and land of BIG fish ) anyways, went for a walk to the end of the pier. A forklift was coming down the walkway, ( only guy there ) with two buckets on the forks. I looked inside and lo and behold, they were full of Sokeye salmon filet carcasses that he was going to through to the seagulls. I asked him "how much" and he said you can have 'em. He went back to the processing building and double bagged 'em and I put em in a large bucket.

So, now we have all of our Crab bait for the traps :D ( I was gonna buy this crap at a processer on the other side of the Island. But man, does my truck smell bad... :(

Yeller
09-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm going to be delayed making it on Friday. I have to have a meeting tomorrow morning. I rescheduled it for an hour earlier and I'll call Foggy when I'm done (probably around 10:30am). If you guys haven't taken off anywhere by that time, Fog said he can pick me up at Sidney.

Not sure if I can stay the night yet. I'd like to stay, but I just got back from being away for a week and I'm waaaayyy behind. Depends how guilty I feel about ignoring the business......although I do know that a few beers in the afternoon can go a long way in relieving the guilt. :grin:

fogducker
09-15-2011, 11:42 PM
OK, see you girls in the morning, Lenny, I have your eggs, plus some home made sausage, Glen, I will pick you up when you call, weather is over-rated.........:h3:

CaribouLou
10-04-2011, 03:23 AM
Pics???

fogducker
10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Pics???

http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/2361-Lenny-s-Island..............