PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL AOTH XII Thread-May 17-19, 2012

ITLLFLI
02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
We are all set to start taking pre-registration forms for 2012 Awakening Of The Horses!!! These need to be in before May 1st!

Go to www.mwdonziclub.com (still working on some updates and typo's)and click on the link for the printable PDF pre-registration form. Print, fill out, and mail to the address on the form!

Hopefully all the skunkworks are in full motion and we will have the best AOTH yet!!!

We look forward to seeing everyone again and hopefully some new faces as well!

Team AOTH!!

roadtripse
02-01-2012, 09:25 AM
The theme boat this year will be another hull that celebrates a rich Aronow legacy, the 20 Cigarette. We are looking forward to having several of these folks in attendance this year and they are honored and excited to have their boat featured at AOTH XII!

Sponsoring this year’s run will be the Donzi Marine Restoration Society and Precision Propellers. These folks contribute to the rally, so we may keep the entry fee low at $75 per person, which includes three dinners, an event t-shirt designed by Tamburello, tow boat service, and a chance to win a People’s Choice Award as voted on by your peers.

As most know that have attended AOTH in the past, this is a small performance boat rally celebrating the Aronow heritage. We run our boats up to about 100 miles per day. There are no noise police and no speed limits. There are safety requirements, including everyone must wear a life vest and the captain must use a cut-off tether. In addition, proof of insurance must be presented and all passengers must sign a release. All of this is to protect everyone that participates in this high performance run.

Please see the club web site at www.mwdonziclub.com for more details on the gathering. We suggest that you make your room reservations early, as they do tend to run out of rooms and we basically take the resort over! 1-800-830-5131.

Attached here and on the club website, you will find the registration for your party. It also includes the insurance and sign-off details. We ask that you get this in by May 1st to the Midwest Donzi Club, 2926 Augustine, Milford, MI 48381. After May 1st, the registration fee will be $125 per person, as we must notify the resort on counts for food and staffing purposes, and get event t-shirts on order.

Finally, the club counts on a memorabilia auction on Saturday night to make up the shortfall on funding and to build seed money for next year. Please plan on bringing something that might bring a little value, or a lot, to the rally. The auction is always a ton of fun and a great way to cap the weekend. This year, in an effort to shorten the length of the live auction, the DMRS has agreed to set-up a silent auction, so please plan on bringing down your items on Thursday night or when you arrive, so we may get things organized.

Finally, this run is about the people. There are a lot of folks that come every year and would not miss it. There are always a lot of new folks, too. I can’t think of a better way to get out from behind a keyboard, show off your boat, and meet the folks behind all of those handles out there on the web!

Get ready for a great weekend, and we will see you guys in the Spring!

Please feel free to post on this thread on your intentions to attend, so we know you are coming!

Team Jefe
02-01-2012, 10:06 AM
After being absent from last year's event for a VERY unfortunate reason. Team Jefe and The Red Bikini Crew are planning a dominate performance at this year's event.http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

Basically, I am shooting to regain our spot at the Top of the People's Choice Custom Ladder and have a really great time. Fair Warning HOTSHOT... Jefe is coming!!!!!http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/hyper.gif

Additionally, the Fraternal Association Of The Hawk will have several of our members in attendance. Supporting AOTH as we have always done. So Anyone who has a BH or is a Fan of the HAWK, please let me know as we will be having a membership drive.

FAOTH.... Long Live the HAWK!!!!

osur866
02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Booked room yesterday, arriving on the 16th, can't wait!!!:big:

Ghost
02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Booked at the lodge a couple weeks back. Just hope the boat is ready in time--I don't want to have to hitchhike 'til Chattanooga.

We'll be there before dinner on Thursday.

If the boat is ready, I'll try to go a day or two early for some break-in.

Donzi Vol
02-02-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm in. Looking forward to it!

Phil S
02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Room & Slip reserved. $75.00 bucks includes towing !! Now that's what I call a bargain !! :grin:

roadtripse
02-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Room & Slip reserved. $75.00 bucks includes towing !! Now that's what I call a bargain !! :grin:

One tow to the closest marina... and then she goes on the trailer, Mr. Frequent Tow Boat US Member Platinum Card Membership Holder.

Ghost
02-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Quick aside: Speaking of towing, I don't know but I've been told...

With Boat US tow insurance, coverage travels with the PERSON, not the vessel. So, if you have coverage and are on someone else's boat in need of a tow, your insurance coverage still applies. Can be worth a lot of scratch.

I never knew that, but apparently it's the case (or was, as recently as about a year ago).

So, regardless of whether you bring a boat, it's good to bring your card.

pmzoner
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Ok, The boat's been but I havn't! Condo booked, Slip booked. We will be there with the HAWK!:boating:

Team Jefe
02-02-2012, 01:01 PM
The El Jefe Eastern Kentucky Rustic Reort is booked and ready. Affectionately known to the staff at the "Stabbin' Cabin"

Phil S
02-02-2012, 07:29 PM
...it's just that that would be the cheapest tow I've ever incurred ! :)

Looking forward to it RT & everyone !

(I have sent the registration forms (sheesh !, but I get it) over to my attorney's (Dewey, Cheatem & Howe, P.A.) and they have already responded with quite a few revisions prior to my execution...I'm sure they will be in touch...;) )

Leesa & I are planning on arriving sometime on the 17th and heading out Sunday.

Unless you have a pretty fast tow-boat lined up, I'm planning on riding at the back of the pack and steering around all the dropped sand-bag hazards posed along the way. :grin: (just one said "exclusion from indemnification" revision suggested so far ) ;)

Phil S
02-02-2012, 10:59 PM
...I hesitate in using the word "class-action", but both Ghost and DonziVol have contacted me....

BUIZILLA
02-03-2012, 07:17 AM
sand bags float ? :grin:

roadtripse
02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Phil, please have Dewey and the gang send over your suggested redlines to the MWDC when they are ready. Look for a response from us by some time around 5/20/11. Geesh. Class action floating sand bags, WTH? Upon arrival, we might have to put your ride through our special AOTH rookie tech inspection service(no extra charge), or just load you up on the tow boat (as crew) to start!

Seriously though, you guys are in for a great time...

Ghost
02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Todd, will the next iteration of the flower pot be ready? I gave it a friendly pat on the nose this afternoon...

roadtripse
02-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Mike, If you were in the area and really did give the Flowerpot a pat today, thank you, she needs the encouragement. If you really are in the area, give me a call and we will hook up for some of the best microbrew and wood oven pizza you have ever had, tomorrow afternoon. No seriously, we have the place...

The SE is pretty much done. Got a new Aronow/GT hatch, thanks to Josh and Donzidirect, and a Herring five blade to mess around with, but it is definitely someone else's turn to shine as the Sandbagger King this year on the rally circut, and I know a few folks working on just that!

MadPoodle
02-04-2012, 06:46 AM
I remember that place.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

JraySray
02-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Quick aside: Speaking of towing, I don't know but I've been told...

With Boat US tow insurance, coverage travels with the PERSON, not the vessel. So, if you have coverage and are on someone else's boat in need of a tow, your insurance coverage still applies. Can be worth a lot of scratch.

I never knew that, but apparently it's the case (or was, as recently as about a year ago).

So, regardless of whether you bring a boat, it's good to bring your card.

You have to be the said captain of the vessel and the owner no where around. In other words if you borrow your buddies boat and your buddy is not on the boat Tow boat US will tow, assist or whatever. If you buddy is on the boat with you no bueno... It happend to me.

Donzi Vol
02-04-2012, 09:13 AM
...I hesitate in using the word "class-action", but both Ghost and DonziVol have contacted me....

Phil, maybe it's just my late night last night, but I'm kinda confused. Either way, you all are welcome on the little black boat anytime.

MadPoodle
02-04-2012, 09:35 AM
You have to be the said captain of the vessel and the owner no where around. In other words if you borrow your buddies boat and your buddy is not on the boat Tow boat US will tow, assist or whatever. If you buddy is on the boat with you no bueno... It happend to me.

Why no sir, the owner is not on board.. Hey, think we should pick up that swimmer on the way in??

Ghost
02-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Mike, If you were in the area and really did give the Flowerpot a pat today, thank you, she needs the encouragement. If you really are in the area, give me a call and we will hook up for some of the best microbrew and wood oven pizza you have ever had, tomorrow afternoon. No seriously, we have the place...

The SE is pretty much done. Got a new Aronow/GT hatch, thanks to Josh and Donzidirect, and a Herring five blade to mess around with, but it is definitely someone else's turn to shine as the Sandbagger King this year on the rally circut, and I know a few folks working on just that!

Thanks, that's just my kinda joint. Would have loved to it had to be a drop and dash as I had a deadline back here. Set a new record for elapsed time in MI on a trip: under 3 hours in-state. It'd be great to get together--when I'll be around longer I'll definitely let you know.

Glad to hear the boat's pretty-well done. All I could see was the cover and some clean white gel.

Phil S
02-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Phil, maybe it's just my late night last night, but I'm kinda confused. Either way, you all are welcome on the little black boat anytime.

Sorry, was just poking some fun at the indemnification / release for the AOTH event. (believe me, I get it...), just figured it might need a revision or two for those of us (me) riding towards the rear being hit by all the flying, and/or partially sub-merged sand-bags coming from the front of the pack! :grin:

All in fun !

I had just read mwdc's indemnity, as well as two commercial leases (for work), and a stack of documents for two real estate closing's next week (all good). Not my day for reading more legalize for a boating event, that is supposed to be taking my mind off work ! ;) Just poking fun at the sand-bagger's a bit on behalf of the slower boats (mine)...just a bit of levity.

Thank you for the offer though DV. If she ever comes back from the shop, I'm pretty sure ol' Firefly will pass inspection. Either way, it's nice to know I can ride with you...or on the tow-boat ! :grin:

Looking forward to a fun weekend !

Phil S.

Donzi Vol
02-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Sorry, was just poking some fun at the indemnification / release for the AOTH event. (believe me, I get it...), just figured it might need a revision or two for those of us (me) riding towards the rear being hit by all the flying, and/or partially sub-merged sand-bags coming from the front of the pack! :grin:

All in fun !

I had just read mwdc's indemnity, as well as two commercial leases (for work), and a stack of documents for two real estate closing's next week (all good). Not my day for reading more legalize for a boating event, that is supposed to be taking my mind off work ! ;) Just poking fun at the sand-bagger's a bit on behalf of the slower boats (mine)...just a bit of levity.

Thank you for the offer though DV. If she ever comes back from the shop, I'm pretty sure ol' Firefly will pass inspection. Either way, it's nice to know I can ride with you...or on the tow-boat ! :grin:

Looking forward to a fun weekend !

Phil S.

It'll be a good time. Glad you'll be able to make it!

DonziGirl
02-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Jefe - you might have some fish boat competition this year :fish3:

This might also be the year my elusive husband shows up. He's been asking questions... Maybe it's better to leave him at home? :grin:

Team Jefe
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Oh reeeeeeaaaaally, Bring it on Baby!!!

roadtripse
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Registrations are starting to come in. Talked to the hotel and they say rooms and cabins are booking up. Still plenty of space, but don't get caught, and fence sitters, go ahead and do it. If you have never been, this is one of the great ways to get the season started! Be here before you know it....

FISHIN SUCKS
02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Oh reeeeeeaaaaally, Bring it on Baby!!!

Don't be afraid my salt water trash friend, what they consider a prize catch in fresh water is what you use for bait!!!! That line handed to me by FishBoy and redilvered to you by me, FISHIN SUCKS.

luv tom:)

DonziGirl
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Up north FISHIN SUCKS! Who'd want to fish up there? We generally fish in the FL Keys in winter south of Marathon but the layout seems like it would be a great party boat...

Phil S
03-13-2012, 10:43 PM
...was looking for something else, but came across this one. Not sure I agree with the analogy, but a fun article to read. Looking forward to AOTH.

Phil

Thirdchildhood
03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
I may have a friend willing to help with expenses to attend AOTH (GAS). Will burn lots of gas! In the truck and in the boat. What does it cost to rent a slip for two nights? Does anyone else crash on their boat? Are there toilet facilities at the docks? I don't mind bathing in the lake if no public showers. I've done that lots of times. It gives new meaning to "don't drop the soap". How much does the cheapest room cost? This is all contingent on getting someone to run my business that week-end. Just looking for a rough estimate of what this will cost me besides about a grand for fuel.....BTW, this friend is a heavyweight, really slows me down...

roadtripse
03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
I may have a friend willing to help with expenses to attend AOTH (GAS). Will burn lots of gas! In the truck and in the boat. What does it cost to rent a slip for two nights? Does anyone else crash on their boat? Are there toilet facilities at the docks? I don't mind bathing in the lake if no public showers. I've done that lots of times. It gives new meaning to "don't drop the soap". How much does the cheapest room cost? This is all contingent on getting someone to run my business that week-end. Just looking for a rough estimate of what this will cost me besides about a grand for fuel.....BTW, this friend is a heavyweight, really slows me down...

Carl, slip fees are $10-15 per night. There are showers at the dock. You can rent a cabin on the hill for $60, or less, per night, which is what I would suggest you do, because it is early in the season and it normally will rain some. Don't worry, we all will burn a lot of gas!

Ghost
03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Carl, beyond what Todd mentioned, I've not stayed in a cabin up the hill (they may be roomy too), but the lodge suites right above the pier are pretty big. A king or queen in one room, a bathroom, and a pull out sleeper sofa in the fully separate living room. So, if you were able to line up some singles who didn't mind the setup, you could get away with 4 in a lodge room. That might run $30/night per man retail--I can't recall our group rate but I think it'd be a bit cheaper.

I can imagine you might find some folks to go in together on digs, FWIW.

MadPoodle
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Cabins are a steal.. We had a three bedroom one last year...

Thirdchildhood
03-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks. I've slept out in the rain before and just snapped the ****-pit cover on and left enough open for fresh air. Anyway, like I said, this guy is big and there is no f'in way we could both sleep up front so he'd be on the seat or diagonally across the cockpit floor and I don't think he will go for that so a cabin it would be. I personally like sleeping on the boat. It's just cool with the sounds of the lake and the rocking and fresh air and all. I will look into it further and look into the schedule and all. It sounds like most leave Sunday morning.

BTW, the link says that the featured boat is the 16 Classic. You might want to fix that since it is the Cig 20.

Thirdchildhood
03-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I found someone to run my store. Just might make AOTH this year! :)

Glashole
04-12-2012, 08:32 AM
i can never remember

is it the 18ft searay bowrider we are featuring this year?

ACE51
04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
I'll be there.

Phil S
04-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Any chance there's a "Golden Tow-Rope" Award" at these events ? If not, there should be....just sayin'...maybe a trophy or something...
All our memberships are paid up..AAA, US.Tow, Sea-Tow, etc...so consider us there ! :grin:

Looking forward to it !

Phil & Leesa

Team Jefe
05-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Holy crap I'm getting excited about the rally. Texas Salties and AOTH back to back.... lets go ROCKSTAR baby!!!!

Ghost
05-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Any chance there's a "Golden Tow-Rope" Award" at these events ? If not, there should be....just sayin'...maybe a trophy or something...

I have a starting concept for the trophy...

Phil S
05-04-2012, 11:07 PM
...but so dang funny I forgot to laugh dammit !! ;) Hoping to see ya'll this summer !

Phil S.

Ghost
05-04-2012, 11:23 PM
...Hoping to see ya'll this summer !

Phil S.

Same here. We're booked for AOTH and Chatt, so I thinik we'll see y'all twice, right? (Crossing fingers that the boat will be ready for the 17th, but I think we've got a good shot unless we hit a real snag. If not we'll be bumming rides in Jamestown again, but I think we should make it. Brian Orlandi's kicking some serious butt, as well as some other folks. I can't wait to run her with all the changes.)

LadyGrizz
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey there! Just wondering if y'all got my check et al. It hasn't hit my bank and I want to make sure it got to ya. Andrew and I will be rolling in sometime Thursday afternoon, I think. Can't wait to see you all!

roadtripse
05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey there! Just wondering if y'all got my check et al. It hasn't hit my bank and I want to make sure it got to ya. Andrew and I will be rolling in sometime Thursday afternoon, I think. Can't wait to see you all!

Your good Barb. We have a whole stack of checks sitting here, as I haven't been down to Kentucky, where the MWDC bank is located, in a few weeks now. See you guys soon!

osur866
05-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Took the 18 to LOTO last weekend for a true shake down and she's ready! Mom, Dad, My future better half, and myself head out Wed. Looking forward to seeing all and kicking off the season!! Safe travels for everyone and see you @ Jamestown!!!!

The Hedgehog
05-15-2012, 07:41 AM
It is getting close.......I can't wait!

roadtripse
05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Lake report. The weather is going to be sunny and close to 80 the whole time folks are here.
We are headed out for a scouting trip this afternoon, but the early reports I have been
getting are that the lake is in great shape and already near summer pool levels.
Should be a great run this year. Save travels to those of you on the way and
for those of you who may still want to come, we will take a late registration.
See you all there!

Ghost
05-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Looking forward to it. (Sadly, the Cig won't be done and will have to wait for Chattanooga as its first event.)

We will be arriving LATE Wednesday night.

Team Jefe
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Wheels up in 4 four hours... well sorta, I'm "flying like a G6". So if anyone gets bored this evening, give me a call. I'm flying solo and could use the distraction to keep me awakehttp://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/lookaroundb.gif 713-825-2443

Map says 16 hours, say 4 hours sleep time midway... puts me at the Lake in time for lunch tomorrow.

Trueser
05-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Man it's warm down here

Glashole
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
ditto

the race is on

roadtripse
05-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Can't complain.

Ghost
05-17-2012, 12:41 AM
We just pulled in. Couple nice 18s I recognize in the lot... :)

Inferno
05-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Weather is beautiful and the lake looks the best its been in a few years. Just remember it is a DRY COUNTY, so if you want anything it's 100 miles away ...

thriller
05-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Is Lenny in attendance? Dry State..I'm thinking not:)

roadtripse
05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks everyone for making this AOTH the best one yet! See you in Chattanooga.

tylogans 22
05-21-2012, 11:14 AM
MIDWEST DONZI GANG: Thank you for a great event you have raised the bar this year with the excellent weather and water conditions!! What a thrilling experience to get out and run with all the other Cig's and Donzi's in such a great location and what can we say about the staff at the Jametown Marina first class all the way!!

Sorry we can't make Chattanoga sounds like a great time, Logan has to attend B-Ball camp that weekend with his Varsity team and I want to experience Chatanooga with him.

Gregg and Logan Wright
22 Yellow Devil