PDA

View Full Version : Ditch Trip 3 Okochobee Waterway 2013

Tidbart
01-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Gauging interest in a trip this year. Will be in late April, early May. Trying to work out details now and will have more info soon.

For those not familiar, this will be a weekend trip from Fort Myers to Stuart and back with a party in between at Pirate's Cove.

Good times have been had in the past so, let me know what you think.

Bob

BUIZILLA
01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
we're in :cool:

BUIZILLA
01-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I jumped on the new Harley today to ride to Roland Martins Marina in Clewiston for lunch, and to meet a customer I have there, to check it out as a cross state lunch stop... riding weather was PERFECT today

made it as far as Cafe 27 fuel stop in Weston with a couple friends, when my voltage regulator crapped out, mission aborted... drowned my sorrow in a bucket of Bud's and dolphin fingers, barely got the bike back home, in fact I didn't..

will try again next weekend or so

Tidbart
01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
I jumped on the new Harley today to ride to Roland Martins Marina in Clewiston for lunch, and to meet a customer I have there, to check it out as a cross state lunch stop... riding weather was PERFECT today

made it as far as Cafe 27 fuel stop in Weston with a couple friends, when my voltage regulator crapped out, mission aborted... drowned my sorrow in a bucket of Bud's and dolphin fingers, barely got the bike back home, in fact I didn't..

will try again next weekend or so

Jim,

A couple of years ago, we stopped at RMs for lunch on the way back to Fort Myers. The restaraunt/bar was great. Big outdoor venue with plenty of seating and a great atmosphere. The food was fabulous. They had a catfish plate that was delicious, and I hate catfish.:D

There was plenty of dockspace and fuel available. The ground were well kept and I am sure the rooms would be similarly kept. This was much better than some of the fish camps that have been visited in the past.

For these reasons, Smoke and I have been kicking around the idea of staying there and not going all the way to Stuart. Maybe with the economy in mind and the decreased expenses, it is worth a shot.

If we come from Fort Myers, there will be no need to cross the lake, so the water conditions will have little bearing. We can go out on the lake if the conditions warrant, if not we can ride the south route.

Just some thoughts. Input appreciated.

B

BUIZILLA
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
hey Bob.... my intended RM visit had an ulterior motive here.... since there are two locks from Stuart to RM each way and canal transit taking mucho time I had another idea... I thought we would ALL start at RM and meet there on Fri night, and leave early Sat morning and go west to FM, and on up to North Captiva maybe, real nice cruise :boating:..... Sunday, do a reverse.... Me, Bud, and our wives stayed overnight at the marina on N Captiva a couple years back... and they have a dockside restaurant/bar there, or we hit the Bubble Room by trolley for Sat night dinner, then the marina bar... they have dockside rooms, and fuel right there at the dock, and a pool, and outside showers, if you want to sleep on your boat... :cool:

Tidbart
01-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Sounds nice, but also expensive. Captiva = $$ no? Worth a look.

Do you remember the name of the resort? South Seas?

B

smokediver
01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
I think Jim is talking about tween waters. It's a nice place for sure. I am not sure of the costs. Maybe it will be out of season by then ?

BUIZILLA
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
we stayed at South Seas.... but cheaper is good too

Tidbart
01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Jim, et al,

The way this starting to look, at least for this trip, is an overnighter at RMs. I like the idea of a Captiva trip, but that may be better served with a small group at another time.

We do have the potential for two contingencies going to RMs, one from the east and one from the west. Which would be pretty cool, I think. The west group has some participation, the east group will need some work. So, far only Steve Fegettes has chimed in from that side of the state.

Frankly, I could go either way, now that I look at the map. It would save me alot of driving and the east route gives me the option of going across the lake or south to the rim canal, depending on the weather.

Any other thoughts before we start looking at dates?

B

Tidbart
02-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Jim and I spoke yesterday for a while and possibly came up with something different to consider, along the lines of his previous proposal.

Here it is. Friday night (optional), stay at RMs and leave Saturday morning and head west toward Ft Myers Beach. I say Friday is optional because you have the option of meeting the group along the way and starting the trip at WP Franklin Lock, where you can leave your truck and trailer.

Head over to FM Beach to a little place I found after hours of trying to find an affordable place with docks.
Here is there website: http://www.shipwreckmotel.com/

This place is located on a small cove awy from wakes, has 2 pools, bars and restaraunts within walking distance, rooms $70-90, with dockage included.
This place has boating group written all over it.

FYI One way trip from RMs to FMB is about 85 miles. WP Franklin to FMB is about 35 miles one way.
This is something to think about as you get pick you level of participation and expenses, and can be a very affordable get-together.

Feedback please!!!

boxy
02-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Don't have a lot to add, except that the Shipwreck is a great site. When we take my Dad's boat to FMB beach, we always tie up at the Shipwreck.
Another plus is that is 50 feet from the Smokin Oyster Brewery....;

Budmann
03-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Denese and I are IN!!!!!!! Both sound fun! Jim, South Seas sounds great but Bob is right. Big dollars for rooms and dockage. As an addition... no one has mentioned Cabbage Key for lunch.

Jim remember the hamburger joint on the island? Thats just about an hour run from F.M. The place is great! The interior walls of the place are COVERED with dollar bills from people that have visited there. As the dollars fall off the owners donate them to charity! How cool!!!!!!!! Last time we were there I asked what the average per year they donate and the server told me between 13 to 15 K a year!

Love people who help others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my two cents..........

Bud

boxy
03-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Denese and I are IN!!!!!!! Both sound fun! Jim, South Seas sounds great but Bob is right. Big dollars for rooms and dockage. As an addition... no one has mentioned Cabbage Key for lunch.

Jim remember the hamburger joint on the island? Thats just about an hour run from F.M. The place is great! The interior walls of the place are COVERED with dollar bills from people that have visited there. As the dollars fall off the owners donate them to charity! How cool!!!!!!!! Last time we were there I asked what the average per year they donate and the server told me between 13 to 15 K a year!

Love people who help others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my two cents..........

Bud

Budman, I think you are talking about Cabbage Key ....97449745

Great run from FMB, just watch the flats North of the Sanibel Bridge...

BUIZILLA
03-08-2013, 11:22 AM
room and slip booked.. :thumbs

Budmann
03-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Room and slip booked! c'mon people...IT'S FLORIDA!!!! No excuses! Get ur DONZI on!!!!!!

Tidbart
03-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Just so I keep up with the thread.......

OK, so here is the plan.

This trip is going to be a west-end trip. Due to a bunch of factors, we won't do the cross Florida trip this year.

Plan is to leave from WP Franklin lock on Friday, May 3rd at around noon. Head west for a two night stay at the Shipwreck Motel at Fort Myers Beach. Leave on Sunday, May 5th.
Overnight parking for vehicles and trailers at the Lock is a donation. Lock area is attended and pretty secure and we have left vehicles there in the past without incident.

The in-between details will be worked out later, lunches, dinners, side-trips, etc.

The nice thing about this trip is that it is a flexible. A noon departure will allow time for travel on Friday, from most places. The trip from WPF to FMB is about 35 miles. Easily doable in any size boat, and it won't take all day. If for some reason, you can't make it until late Friday or Saturday, for instance, we can easily head back up river to meet you and your group.

Hotel: Listen up! Reserve your room now. Call the Shipwreck Motel at: (239) 463-4691, hit button for reservations and ask for Tia. Tell her you are with the Donzi Group and want a room for the 3-5th, if those are the nights you can make it. In an effort to keep the group together, I have asked for rooms around the rectangular pool in back of Zushi. They are all efficiencies, @ $79.95/nt. =tax. There are other rooms available, some more and some less money, if need be. Also, the rate includes dockage. http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/yes.gifhttp://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/biggrin.gifhttp://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/boat.gif. That's right, no extra fee.

I could not block rooms, so call asap and secure a room.

Questions? Just ask.

Bob

DonziFreak
03-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Assuming I get all the bugs worked out of the boat in the next couple of weeks, count me in!

Tidbart
03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Assuming I get all the bugs worked out of the boat in the next couple of weeks, count me in!

Hope you make it. The more, the merrier. :boating:

Bob

Tidbart
04-05-2013, 11:02 AM
One month to go.

If you haven't already, get your room booked and your boat ready.:thumbs

Bob

Tidbart
04-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Less than two weeks away! Still time for last minute participants. :paddle:

B

Tidbart
05-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Got some photos uploaded to an album. Here: http://www.donzi.org/forum/album.php?albumid=46

And videos in the Video Section here: http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/3707-Fort-Myers-Beach-trip-May-3-5-2013

Enjoy. Bob

Tidbart
02-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Let's try this again.........:D

http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/4335-OWW-to-Fort-Myers-Beach-May-2-4th-2014?p=39380#post39380

Tidbart
04-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Ignore this post.