PDA

View Full Version : Offshore races May 2, 3, 4 in New Jersey

seabuddy7
04-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Lake Hopatcong, NJ. Who is going besides me?

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Lake Hopatcong Grand Prix

Share (http://www.addtoany.com/share_save#url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oparacing.org%2Fra ce1.html&title=OPA%20Racing%20%7C%20Lake%20Hopatcong%20Race %20Information&description=Lake%20Hopatcong%20Grand%20Prix%20%7E% 20Schedule%20of%20Events)

View Lake Hopatcong (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210171973563754530662.0004d70941926d762949 e&msa=0&ll=40.939452,-74.627552&spn=0.087789,0.198441) in a larger map

http://www.oparacing.org/images/Lake_Hopatcong_Grand_Prix_logo_179x85.png *Schedule Subject to Change

Friday, May 2, 2014

All Day

Arrival of Race Boats - Lake Forest Yacht Club, 35 Yacht Club Drive, Lake Hopatcong, NJ

9am - 4pm

​​​​
Race Boat Inspections - Race Village

​Crane Area - Lake Forest Yacht
​Club Ramp Area - Lake Forest Yacht Club
​Wet Pits - Lake Forest Yacht Club
​Dry Pits - Lake Forest Yacht Club

12pm - 3pm

Racer Registration - Lake Forest Yacht Club
​GPS Registration - Lake Forest Yacht Club

12pm - 4pm

Swim / Dunker Test - TBA

6:30pm
Volunteer & Patrol Fleet Meeting - TBA

7pm
Meet the Racers Party - TBA

​Saturday, May 3, 2014

All Day
Race Boats & Vendors Operational

8am
Course Buoys set

8:30am
Race Course Operational

9am
Drivers Meeting - Lake Forest Yacht Club

9am - 4pm
Race Boat Inspections - Race Village

9am - 5pm
Crane lift and Ramp operational

8am - 2pm

Swim / Dunker Test - TBA

9am - 2:30pm

Racer Registration - Lake Forest Yacht Club
​GPS Registration - Lake Forest Yacht Club

10am - 5pm
Race Boat testing on course as per Race Control

7pm
Meet the Racers Party - Lake Forest Yacht Club

​Sunday, May 4, 2014

All Day
Race Boats and Vendors in operation

7:30am
Team Physicals - Lake Forest Yacht Club

7:30
Course Buoy's set

Race Control Operational

Medical and Dive Team Briefing - Lake Forest Yacht Club

9am
Drivers Meeting - Lake Forest Yacht Club

9am - 5pm
Crane Lift and Ramp operational

9am
Patrol Fleet Briefing - Lake Forest Yacht Club

10:30am
Race Patrol Fleet and Course Support Fleet on station

11am
​1pm
​3pm
RACE 1​​​​ (start subject to adjustment)
​RACE 2 (start subject to adjustment)
​RACE 3​​​​ (start subject to adjustment)

GPS Readings - Lake Forest Yacht Club
​Return immediately following completion of each race​​​

7pm
Awards Ceremony - Lake Forest Yacht Club

Inferno
04-21-2014, 07:45 PM
I wish they would call it INSHORE racing... They racers would never last in the ocean, the way we did it did back in the 70 and 80's .There is no such thing anymore as OFFSHORE RACING !!!. How can anyone call it OFFSHORE racing when there in Lake Hopatcong ???? The sport has become a joke especially when the poker boats can out run them ..

seabuddy7
04-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Go to the Ocean City race then. Same group.

Inferno
04-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Seabuddy , I raced the circuit for 10 plus years and today they do not go Offshore . They race up and down the beach which is a joke. Al Copeland ruined the sport with the cats, because if it was to rough for them they boycotted the race . I retired US Champion that year and quit the sport . We would urinate blood doing what we did and I have shots of my boat 25 feet in the air to prove it . The only race that comes close is Key West and look what happens there each year ..1 dead ,2 dead , etc. Bring the deep V's back and go Offshore racing and I'll build another boat tomorrow.

OFFSHORE GINGER
04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Inferno , i beg the differ with you on using cats in Offshore racing and to tell you the truth i can remember Al's first wooden boat ( cat ) made using west system's Epoxy or one of the many we made at Skater for him , and not to mention all the other boats we made for Fountain , Cig , Platinum , etc , etc , because Cats can handle just about anything or more opposed to a Deep V when doing Triple Digits considering whenever anyone mentions that a Deep V can handle rougher seas ( old wifes tale ) is clearly mistaken . Inferno , just my 2 cents from an old Man ) 62 ) who has been working on boats doing Fiberglass repair for 40 plus years now .

BUIZILLA
04-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Inferno , i beg the differ with you on using cats in Offshore racing and to tell you the truth i can remember Al's first wooden boat ( cat ) made using west system's Epoxy or one of the many we made at Skater for him , and not to mention all the other boats we made for Fountain , Cig , Platinum , etc , etc , because Cats can handle just about anything or more opposed to a Deep V when doing Triple Digits considering whenever anyone mentions that a Deep V can handle rougher seas ( old wifes tale ) is clearly mistaken . Inferno , just my 2 cents from an old Man ) 62 ) who has been working on boats doing Fiberglass repair for 40 plus years now .
I don't think anybody's ever seen a V bottom blow over backwards...

Inferno
04-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Offshore Ginger .. Been there ,done that and have seen cats stop when the sea get to much for them . I've been in 10-12 foot seas racing out of the Miami to Bimini and 3 cats started and 2 sunk in the Barcardi series. I won that race and there was alot of damage that day. If you think a cat can outrun a V bottom in anything above 4 foot seas your dreaming.. They can't even run in the channel at Key West, when it get choppy. The cats are the reason that Offshore Racing does not exist today. If you want to race offshore today you will have to go to Europe, where they run fast V hulls and love massive seas. I think there are a few Donzi raceboats over there competing. Ask Skater what happened to there big cat in Michigan who tried to run with a V bottom in 6 ft seas ??? Answer: They got back, derigged the boat, cut it up and put it in the dumpster !!!!!!!! $500,000.00 mistake

OFFSHORE GINGER
04-22-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't think anybody's ever seen a V bottom blow over backwards... LOL, but then again i do not think you have ever seen a V going as fast as a Cat ( Triple digits with the same power , and not to mention just look at the running surface on a deep V opposed to a Cat considering the Cat is packing more air in the Tunnel - which means less wetted surface & twice the speed ............................which is something only a very few have ever experienced including myself , and not to mention that doing Triple digits in a canopied boat is very awsome weather it be a F-16 , two man or four man huey canopy- boat . BUIZILLA , just a quick mention, and that is .............. raceing is raceing , and everything has it's price with safety in mind but .... it can and often ( or sometimes ) will go to the way-side , when it comes to winning .

BUIZILLA
04-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Artie, the truth of the matter in current offshore racing is this > it's not OFFSHORE until you can't see the shore..

what I do like currently is the MIA-BIMINI-MIA deal they did a few years back, if I was 20 years younger i'd have been all_over_that stuff

OFFSHORE GINGER
04-22-2014, 08:35 PM
They got back, derigged the boat, cut it up and put it in the dumpster !!!!!!!! $500,000.00 mistake Personnaly , i do not think you really know or have a clue on just what you are talking about considering every boat is or was built with the owner in mind ( very light ) and not to mention that some owners like Don Q Rum would build , and run a boat for one season only because they have more money then God , and could care less about the cost when it comes to campaigning a boat for a year and here is that boat . http://www.performanceboats.com/outdrives/51045-32-skater.html

Ghost
04-22-2014, 08:55 PM
I was down in Key West this year. We were told the course was shortened due to rough seas. I was looking at the conditions myself and they were nothing like the rough seas we see in all the legendary pics of offshore racing from the sixties and seventies. In fact, they seemed quite calm. Couple three feet of chop maybe. Clearly a different world from what Stan is describing from his time racing.

i still enjoyed watching, but it was nothing like the old days. More like watching hydroplane racing, actually. Fine for what it is, but not what they once called offshore racing, not even close.

duckhunter
04-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Interesting discussion. No doubt the cats are spectacular pieces of technology and are faster in calm seas than a deep v. However, I agree with the semantic argument; it ain't offshore racing if you can still see the shore or have to shorten the course because the waves are too big.

I'd love to take $5M and use it to try and monkey-stomp the Bermuda Challenge record. Now there's an exercise in patience, endurance, and pushing equipment. One of the last remaining cannonball run / the only rule is there aren't any rules motorsports events.

Maybe I can get Donzi as a sponsor with a real light 38ZR with surface drives, 1,200 hp worth of diesels, and a big stinking fuel cell. If not, I'll be taking donations.

roadtripse
04-22-2014, 11:37 PM
Interesting discussion. No doubt the cats are spectacular pieces of technology and are faster in calm seas than a deep v. However, I agree with the semantic argument; it ain't offshore racing if you can still see the shore or have to shorten the course because the waves are too big.

I'd love to take $5M and use it to try and monkey-stomp the Bermuda Challenge record. Now there's an exercise in patience, endurance, and pushing equipment. One of the last remaining cannonball run / the only rule is there aren't any rules motorsports events.

Maybe I can get Donzi as a sponsor with a real light 38ZR with surface drives, 1,200 hp worth of diesels, and a big stinking fuel cell. If not, I'll be taking donations.

I'm in. One correction, a ZRC please. Nice ones out there that can be bought right and re-rigged right now. Hold the cats, please, as they are bad for your health.

-The Dreamer-

duckhunter
04-22-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm in. One correction, a ZRC please. Nice ones out there that can be bought right and re-rigged right now. Hold the cats, please, as they are bad for your health.

-The Dreamer-

Sweet, it's ON! Good call on the ZRC. Preliminary planning meeting, time TBD, in the salon of the Roamer. :thumbs

Inferno
04-23-2014, 06:03 AM
When I raced if anyone said there are planning a big offshore race at any lake except the Great Lakes, they would have been kicked out of the sport ..I can see Betty Cook, ,Rocky , Bernie Little , Joey Epolitio, Knocky House , John Crouse and Don A all in heaven how just laughing out of what Offshore is today ... It's a Joke !!! A bunch of showoffs that want to impress everyone with there 140 mph boats. Once we left the dock you would not see us for 3-4 hours. When we returned we felt like we just finished a 12 rounds with Ali. I remember guys with broken legs,arms and backs ,urinating blood,etc. I lost 27 of my friends in this sport and I would do it again, if they would bring it back to the ocean (not the beach).

OFFSHORE GINGER
04-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Seabuddy ,overall the event looks like it is going to be very interesting , and not to mention fun. http://www.oparacing.org/

roadtripse
04-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Sweet, it's ON! Good call on the ZRC. Preliminary planning meeting, time TBD, in the salon of the Roamer. :thumbs

Well with that plan, I bet we can get an entire team of dreamers assembled. We could call it "Team MPO" for short! Heck, we even have a Captain in a figurative sense, even if we aren't going to let him drive anything more than his own two feet down the stair well in express mode. Sally Struthers would look awesome sprawled all over the side of the boat, too. I'm talking pre-Meathead days, of course! I like the whole concept!

duckhunter
04-23-2014, 05:30 PM
I'll have my people talk to her people about sponsorship! Backup plan is Lindsay Logan (pre-crystal meth days).

Need the Miami contingent to start working on Cat and Cummins to see who will cough up some free motors. Stan has bought enough drives recently that he probably has a couple spare Arnesons in the shed.

Tito's Vodka is interested in sponsoring the pit festivities.

It's all coming together!!

MadPoodle
04-23-2014, 05:34 PM
I have 18 cases of Pabst, and two Deutz diesels ready to go....

And I LOVE Tito's!!!!

duckhunter
04-23-2014, 06:01 PM
OK, the PBR puts you on the team!

I've got an idea percolating for the mother ship for NY Harbor. It's about 60', 1271s, aluminum hull. And stripper poles. Where do we find something like that?

The Hedgehog
04-23-2014, 06:22 PM
OK, the PBR puts you on the team!

I've got an idea percolating for the mother ship for NY Harbor. It's about 60', 1271s, aluminum hull. And stripper poles. Where do we find something like that?

Boom.....right here.....in a real metal boat. Not like those space ship looking cruisers they are building today out of Tupperware!

i feel a team meeting for Team MPO coming on.....and yes, Titos will sponsor!

Basically we we will let the Hydro's and Cats play in the lakes, we will take the big V's out with the bad boys!

OFFSHORE GINGER
04-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Just curious what will the temps be like there considering it is still colder then hell here in West Mich .

The Hedgehog
04-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Well with that plan, I bet we can get an entire team of dreamers assembled. We could call it "Team MPO" for short! Heck, we even have a Captain in a figurative sense, even if we aren't going to let him drive anything more than his own two feet down the stair well in express mode. Sally Struthers would look awesome sprawled all over the side of the boat, too. I'm talking pre-Meathead days, of course! I like the whole concept!

Team MPO is going to have a meeting. Hedge is sponsoring offshore races at The Gorge. At least as long as it does not get over 6" of chop. Team MPO will enter a canopied Allison and we will spank those non-pad Donzi's!

BUIZILLA
04-23-2014, 07:36 PM
you should be able to schedule the *event* between the Edsel and Studebaker reunions.. so the leftover and dry rotted wide whites can be used as turn markers

seabuddy7
04-23-2014, 08:45 PM
I am outclassed with you guys on this OFFshore racing stuff. I have ridden in, not driven, triple digits on water, but not out of the sight of land.

So, have at it here and know you have readers that are all eyes. It is an interesting read.

My contribution within this post... I pat myself on the back for starting it. The board has been kind of quiet, lately, in my view.

The fastest I have driven a boat (vee bottom) on Lake Hopatcong is about 67 MPH.

I intend to go Sat overnight and be there Sunday, so here is my cell number if you are going to and want to catch up. Chris (seabuddy) Brown 518-281-0045.

roadtripse
04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
I am proud to announce that the first sponsor of Team MPO Racing is Tito's Vodka. With this foundation, the MPO team should be able to build quite the offshore racing team concept...

Thinking the team motto should be "Go big, or don't go at all!"

The Hedgehog
04-23-2014, 09:41 PM
I am outclassed with you guys on this OFFshore racing stuff. I have ridden in, not driven, triple digits on water, but not out of the sight of land.

So, have at it here and know you have readers that are all eyes. It is an interesting read.

My contribution within this post... I pat myself on the back for starting it. The board has been kind of quiet, lately, in my view.

The fastest I have driven a boat (vee bottom) on Lake Hopatcong is about 67 MPH.

I intend to go Sat overnight and be there Sunday, so here is my cell number if you are going to and want to catch up. Chris (seabuddy) Brown 518-281-0045.

I know, it's a rough crowd here! All joking aside, enjoy the race. You will see some neat power.

Now I am off to deal with this Roadtrip Guy!

Ghost
04-23-2014, 09:41 PM
I am proud to announce that the first sponsor of Team MPO Racing is Tito's Vodka. With this foundation, the MPO team should be able to build quite the offshore racing team concept...

Friendly amendment: thinking it could be "go big or go elsewhere."

The Hedgehog
04-23-2014, 09:43 PM

Love it! I think it is a great concept. May have to add a few extra bolsters!

BTW, I already have the Tito's emblems for the rafting helmets. I will get more for team MPO!

BUIZILLA
04-23-2014, 09:43 PM
sooo, is it MPO or PMO?

and, what does that stand for again?

The Hedgehog
04-23-2014, 09:45 PM
sooo, is it MPO or PMO?

and, what does that stand for again?

MPO, you will have to see the Sally Strothers infomercial about suffering in silence!

Ghost
04-23-2014, 09:59 PM
$50 will build a ramp to a less uncomfortable future.

($250 will buy a custom-fitted meatbarrow.)

Won't you help?

roadtripse
04-23-2014, 10:02 PM
Friendly amendment: thinking it could be "go big or go elsewhere."

Agreed!

I'm thinking some coozies with Sally Struther's image, Team MPO Racing across the top, and the team motto of "Go Big or Go Elsewhere" across the bottom need to go on order before event season starts...

"MPO" stands for "Male Penile Obesity Syndrome", of course...

Just Say N2O
04-23-2014, 10:10 PM
"MPO" stands for "Male Penile Obesity Syndrome", of course...

Wouldn't that be MPOS?

roadtripse
04-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Wouldn't that be MPOS?

Yes, but we who are afflicted, just call it MPO... Sigh...

The Hedgehog
04-23-2014, 10:24 PM
It's a serious problem. It almost starts off harmless and funny but those tripod jokes start to get old after a while. Then there is the issue of clothes......that can be downright painful and expensive!

Meatbarrow! Now that's funny!

The Hedgehog
04-23-2014, 10:30 PM
We really need to get The Captain to weigh in, so to speak.

I will get him to join!

Phil S
04-23-2014, 10:39 PM
We really need to get The Captain to weigh in, so to speak.

I will get him to join!

Are you one of the thousands that suffer in silence too?

I've tried everything...creams, salves.....had a flare-up this weekend and had to go buy a bigger wheelbarrow...and the nicknames..so hurtful..."tri-pod", "kick-stand"...suffering in silence here....

(glad I found a support group)

The Hedgehog
04-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Are you one of the thousands that suffer in silence too?

I've tried everything...creams, salves.....had a flare-up this weekend and had to go buy a bigger wheelbarrow...and the nicknames..so hurtful..."tri-pod", "kick-stand"...suffering in silence here....

(glad I found a support group)

Oh it's great to find people that understand!

Phil S
04-23-2014, 11:04 PM
...I'm looking into having a "reduction" done...

duckhunter
04-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Dang, I go to class for a few hours and this thing takes off! If I were near NJ I would definitely check out the races, because it's still a cool deal and extraordinary hardware.

If we're doing "Offshore Racing in the Gorge" I'm bringin' the Whaler. It's a cathedral hull, so that's almost a catamaran. No chop over three to fours (inches) though.

Trying to get a cooperative crossover going with the Bayliner Offshore Racing Team (BORT). Look them up on bookface, they're a hoot. I figure we'll need some competition to push us so the effort doesn't devolve into a Tito's induced haze.

I dusted off the old compass and plugged Bermuda into the Garmin, so the nav portion of the run is ready. The current record holder got smoked by the weather in 2013. He works for Maersk (who has one of the better metro departments on the planet) and they gave him the "perfect" window to do the run. I figure, if they screw it up that bad we'll just wing it. I've got a weather channel app on my phone just in case.

Called Donzi and tried to order a 38 ZR Comp laid up in Kevlar & carbon fiber and rigged for a couple of 1500lb diesels sitting where the rear seats used to be. Also an 800gal fuel tank. The call got dropped somehow, I must have hit a dead spot on my cell. Try again tomorrow...

Ghost
04-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Everyone made fun of this poor guy--said he was stupid. Just another silent victim.

boldts
04-23-2014, 11:59 PM
OK, valid points by everyone here. I never raced, but used to work as a support boat at as many of the Great Lakes races I could with my 18 Classic. Interesting that no one as mentioned the fans yet. I personally believe that races have been moved to inland lakes so that the fans aren't sitting on a pier, beach or hotel balcony waiting 2 to 3 hours to see the racers come back to cross the finish line. Of course those people awaiting the return of the racers are probably to drunk to even tell you who won the race due to nothing better to do in that time. I've been to Key West and to the once run Atlantic City World Championship race. The only time I saw the boats was the idle out of the wet pits, the start, the finish and the idle back into the wet pits. My best view was in the dry pits which allowed me to meet the racers and ask questions. That is why I enjoyed supporting the races so much. Yes I had a job to do, but I was on the race course and could see the boats in racing conditions and no I wasn't afraid to go far out on the course in the same waters the racers were dealing with. Can't count on my hands how many times I heard your not going out in that boat are you or are you sure you don't mind being that far away from the shore? Those 50' cats were amazing with the technology with-in them. Like comparing a Formula 1 race car to your local dirt track racer. Both have there place and in my opinion just shouldn't be together in a race. OK, so if it has to be that way, that is why again in my opinion APBA has become 2 or 3 different organizations now. Egos, money and flash over the hard nose racers of the past making their boats last and return from a true offshore adventure. It all boils down to the cost of television covering a true offshore race because lets face it, if television isn't showing you the boats offshore, you and most of the public except those who truly love the sport aren't going to the race or watching it on TV.

In Atlantic City, there was more complaining about the rough water than there was racing. Saturday's races were canceled. Because of cats like Mr. Copelands or Don Johnsons saying they couldn't run in those seas? Maybe....... Sundays race was shortened, but a champion was crowned. They've never run the Worlds there since. Who won that Championship? Beats me. I don't even remember with out doing a search on-line for the results and that might take some time.

Just my opinions here, but a little different look at Offshore from a fan's view.

The Hedgehog
04-24-2014, 06:26 AM
Everyone made fun of this poor guy--said he was stupid. Just another silent victim.

It's just upsetting! It all started at PE Class. There was no support back then. I have yet to get used to being such a spectacle.

BUIZILLA
04-24-2014, 07:42 AM
It's just upsetting! It all started at PE Class. There was no support back then. I have yet to get used to being such a spectacle. between you and the Captain i'm trying to understand why either needs a real job, when an extracurricular job pays more,,,, or at least you can have more fun at it

or did I misunderstand what Offshore Drillin' is all about?

roadtripse
04-24-2014, 11:25 AM
It's just upsetting! It all started at PE Class. There was no support back then. I have yet to get used to being such a spectacle.

There was plenty of "support", just not the kind I wanted.... Depressing.

roadtripse
04-24-2014, 11:42 AM
OK, valid points by everyone here. I never raced, but used to work as a support boat at as many of the Great Lakes races I could with my 18 Classic. Interesting that no one as mentioned the fans yet. I personally believe that races have been moved to inland lakes so that the fans aren't sitting on a pier, beach or hotel balcony waiting 2 to 3 hours to see the racers come back to cross the finish line. Of course those people awaiting the return of the racers are probably to drunk to even tell you who won the race due to nothing better to do in that time. I've been to Key West and to the once run Atlantic City World Championship race. The only time I saw the boats was the idle out of the wet pits, the start, the finish and the idle back into the wet pits. My best view was in the dry pits which allowed me to meet the racers and ask questions. That is why I enjoyed supporting the races so much. Yes I had a job to do, but I was on the race course and could see the boats in racing conditions and no I wasn't afraid to go far out on the course in the same waters the racers were dealing with. Can't count on my hands how many times I heard your not going out in that boat are you or are you sure you don't mind being that far away from the shore? Those 50' cats were amazing with the technology with-in them. Like comparing a Formula 1 race car to your local dirt track racer. Both have there place and in my opinion just shouldn't be together in a race. OK, so if it has to be that way, that is why again in my opinion APBA has become 2 or 3 different organizations now. Egos, money and flash over the hard nose racers of the past making their boats last and return from a true offshore adventure. It all boils down to the cost of television covering a true offshore race because lets face it, if television isn't showing you the boats offshore, you and most of the public except those who truly love the sport aren't going to the race or watching it on TV.

In Atlantic City, there was more complaining about the rough water than there was racing. Saturday's races were canceled. Because of cats like Mr. Copelands or Don Johnsons saying they couldn't run in those seas? Maybe....... Sundays race was shortened, but a champion was crowned. They've never run the Worlds there since. Who won that Championship? Beats me. I don't even remember with out doing a search on-line for the results and that might take some time.

Just my opinions here, but a little different look at Offshore from a fan's view.

Scott,

I have been a fan of offshore racing for years, just as you have. On one of these occasions, we even had the pleasure of being stationed on a turn as a diver rescue boat at Key West, thanks to Madpoodle and Buizilla. Memorable. Especially, when I almost had to run Reggie over, because he wouldn't get out of the way on the launch ramp. Great days.

I have also seen what happens to a cat in less than ideal circumstances, three times in races (Jack Carmody at Corpus Christi was particularly horrible to witness first hand) and twice in the Lake Cumberland Poker Run over the past few years. You are flying, not boating at the top end. Things get a little side ways, and boom, you're hooking a sponson, and hoping that canopy is strong enough over your head, if you are lucky enough to have one. You won't see me in one, ever again.

Secondly, a lot of the fractionalization of offshore racing has been due to the high dollar cat owners taking their toys and going home. They don't like the rules, they don't like the conditions, they don't like where they placed, and the list goes on. Then they go off and create their own series and play their own game. This is all generalization, but cats are the worst thing that ever happened to the sport in recent times, from my view.

Finally, the sport has never been spectator friendly. Offshore is offshore. Showing it on ESPN is a disaster, because even with the short track racing format, it's impossible to follow, the classes are out of control, and the inherent nature of the sport, makes it impossible to film and view, even from a helicopter.

Now, I do think the endurance challenges are the best hope for offshore racing. We are busy putting together "Team MPO" or at least the dream of it. Are you in? We need pit crew...

duckhunter
04-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Some good points being made. I'm sticking with "it ain't offshore if you can still see the shore." Still racing, still cool, arguably better for fans, but it's not truly "offshore" racing.

The endurance races have really piqued my interest over the last couple of years. The Boating mag Bermuda Challenge is a cool deal that, like many epic endeavors, was dreamed up in a bar. The US currently has the record again; Chris Fertig and Tyson Garvin did it in a little under 16 hours in Aug. Fabio Buzzi (Italian powerboat designer) won in 2012. With the right weather, the right boat, and a little luck the 15:48 could be crushed.

Here's another one that's pretty cool, the Ft Lauderdale to San Juan PR run. Donzi Yachts gave it a shot back in the day and the article is well-worth the read for anyone into boats. http://www.donziyachts.com/article.php?file=1000_miles

roadtripse
04-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Um, Houston we might have a problem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRRiJ_rrl8

BUIZILLA
04-24-2014, 01:34 PM
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

The Hedgehog
04-24-2014, 02:03 PM
That was awesome. Now if we just had a few pics of Zilla when he had the 70's John Holmes porn mustache!

roadtripse
04-24-2014, 02:29 PM
That was awesome. Now if we just had a few pics of Zilla when he had the 70's John Holmes porn mustache!

Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?

roadtripse
04-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Tommy West endorses them, so what's not to like? They will make worthy competition at the First Annual Gorge Offshore Classic!

The Hedgehog
04-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Tommy West endorses them, so what's not to like? They will make worthy competition at the First Annual Gorge Offshore Classic!

I am a fan, and will raise you Jamie's Glastron!

BUIZILLA
04-24-2014, 03:41 PM
thankfully, that incriminating pic disappeared.... but, dammn, what a wonderful time in life that was..... :D :thumbs

Lenny
04-24-2014, 03:52 PM
anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?

omg ! Jill looks so sweet, and you, aaahh, you,,, look,, aaahhh http://www.donzi.org/forum/images/smilies/Homer3.gif

http://www.donzi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12425&d=1398364155

roadtripse
04-24-2014, 03:54 PM
I am a fan, and will raise you Jamie's Glastron!

I can't think of a more qualified individual to let this whole thing fall apart, than the man!

Lenny
04-24-2014, 04:04 PM
that Todd did a lot better with Jill than he would have with Miss Struthers...

http://topnews.in/files/images/SallyStruthers1.jpg

:)

duckhunter
04-24-2014, 04:17 PM

The Army frowns upon facial hair - something about not being able to seal up your gas mask. Whatever. I'm ready to return to Civil War fashion.

Annie disliked the beard but she HATED the porn star 'stache. She let me get fuzzy for a couple of months but laid down the law in Feb - said I wasn't getting my Valentine's present until I shaved. I couldn't argue with that...

12429 12430

duckhunter
04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
omg ! Jill looks so sweet, and you, aaahh, you,,, look,, aaahhh :h3:

Yeah he's kinda looking like a friend of the Ether Bunny in that shot...

12431 12432 12433 12434

roadtripse
04-24-2014, 05:50 PM
omg ! Jill looks so sweet, and you, aaahh, you,,, look,, aaahhh http://www.donzi.org/forum/images/smilies/Homer3.gif

Let's see one of you, Len, from 25-30 years ago.... C'mon, you can do it, I know you can.

And Duckie, those look like mug shots for goodness sake! Please stop it, you're scarring people.

duckhunter
04-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Hedge, start now and you can be ready for the Gorge Run. You know you want to!

And Duckie, those look like mug shots for goodness sake! Please stop it, you're scarring people.

Hey, you asked for it! I was trying to back a brother up!

OFFSHORE GINGER
04-24-2014, 06:06 PM
In regards to post # 47 concerning the old Carlos n Charlies X-Treme my self and two other gentlemen while working at Baker Eng / Ck Motor sports / Cat Can Do Offshore Race Team did all the repairs to the boat shortly after Jacks tragic accident ( may he rest in peace ) and with all due respect things just might have turned out differently if the F-16 Canopy would not have been modifide , and not to mention the overall look of the inside of the boat combined with the smell concering a project of that magnitude .

boldts
04-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Todd, I'll make sure the tires are correctly inflated and the chrome flash of the trailer rims are always perfect no matter what the team happens to pull our offshore race boat through. In my spare time, the props get a special formula so you can read that Bayliner Race Team banner in them. Put the throttles down and bring the trophy back to the pits after the picture taking! Go Team MPO!!!

On a side note. Can we have Ginger roll across the deck for that fantastic shine we desire? Tuff to read this thread at work. Buddies think I'm looking at porn. :-)

OFFSHORE GINGER
04-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Can we have Ginger roll across the deck for that fantastic shine we desire? Tuff to read this thread at work. Buddies think I'm looking at porn. :-) LOL , It's all good but for......... some odd reason http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/forum.php this site always seem to have a lot of wild things going on ( pretty Girls) etc etc, Ha Ha Ha .........

http://i57.tinypic.com/j9t1z9.gif

Ghost
04-24-2014, 08:53 PM
The Army frowns upon facial hair - something about not being able to seal up your gas mask. Whatever. I'm ready to return to Civil War fashion.

Annie disliked the beard but she HATED the porn star 'stache. She let me get fuzzy for a couple of months but laid down the law in Feb - said I wasn't getting my Valentine's present until I shaved. I couldn't argue with that...

12429 12430

I love the stache, but please don't strap a MIRV to big geek and try to nuke those friendly undersea alien thingies. ;)

duckhunter
04-24-2014, 09:13 PM
I love the stache, but please don't strap a MIRV to big geek and try to nuke those friendly undersea alien thingies. ;)

The Abyss, nicely done. :thumbs

Did some more reading and figgerin' on the Bermuda Challenge. Fertig drove a 39 Skater custom (stepped deep V), T/5.9 Cummins 480hp, Arnesons, and 600gal of fuel. Started out at 70mph but ended up running most of it at 55. The boat would run 70 full and 84 light, and their intent was to keep her on the pins the whole way across, at least until they started slinging prop blades. Weather was pretty good, 3-4s leaving NY Harbor and 2-3s for the rest of the time.

I will say that it takes some nads to change out a heavy Arneson prop, at night, in the water, in 2-3s. Especially when it's your last spare...

38 ZRC with 600hp Cat or Cummins power and a ton of fuel (actually multiple tons of fuel) and the right drives would be a contender. I'm less enthused about the surface drives after the issues they had. They theorized that the torque was killing the props.

The Hedgehog
04-24-2014, 10:15 PM

12429 12430

The Stache rules!

The Hedgehog
04-24-2014, 10:18 PM
LOL , It's all good but for......... some odd reason http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/forum.php this site always seem to have a lot of wild things going on ( pretty Girls) etc etc, Ha Ha Ha .........

http://i57.tinypic.com/j9t1z9.gif

Phoebe Cates rules!

MadPoodle
04-24-2014, 10:37 PM
:)

roadtripse
04-25-2014, 11:06 AM
The Abyss, nicely done. :thumbs

Did some more reading and figgerin' on the Bermuda Challenge. Fertig drove a 39 Skater custom (stepped deep V), T/5.9 Cummins 480hp, Arnesons, and 600gal of fuel. Started out at 70mph but ended up running most of it at 55. The boat would run 70 full and 84 light, and their intent was to keep her on the pins the whole way across, at least until they started slinging prop blades. Weather was pretty good, 3-4s leaving NY Harbor and 2-3s for the rest of the time.

I will say that it takes some nads to change out a heavy Arneson prop, at night, in the water, in 2-3s. Especially when it's your last spare...

38 ZRC with 600hp Cat or Cummins power and a ton of fuel (actually multiple tons of fuel) and the right drives would be a contender. I'm less enthused about the surface drives after the issues they had. They theorized that the torque was killing the props.

One general statement, who the hell rebuilds a dead man's boat, especially if the dead man died on it? I always thought the white color on the Baker boat suited it.

Now, back to the fun...

After very little deliberation, I am definitely in on securing the sponsorship rights to have Phoebe splashed down the side of the boat, and of course, as depicted in Fast Times in a red bikini. I am sure Kevin wouldn't mind, since she hasn't done anything since 1989! Easy call over Sally, although I will always consider her the official spokesperson for the MPO cause. Maybe we can make her spokesperson-emeritus, and not show her current bio to anyone, anymore....eeewww.

As for the endurance runs. We need to work ourselves up to this with persistence and thorough diligence. I say a perfect trial run would be at the First Annual Gorge Offshore Classic. A good run to Chattanooga and back could certainly prove our metal in terms of equipment preparation and solidify the team. Especially with the heady competition from Bayliner Offshore Racing and Team Allison!

Next could be the Key West to Cancun Run. Hell if Reggie can do it in eight and change with a cruiser, we should be able to accomplish it in forty-eight. Could be a b*i*t*c*h* (automated board censor can bite me BTW) getting back, after we drink all of the tequila in Cozumel. Somebody make sure to hit the GPS breadcrumb feature on the way out, please.

One point of contention already though. I like Buzzi drives over Arnies....

duckhunter
04-25-2014, 11:30 AM
One general statement, who the hell rebuilds a dead man's boat, especially if the dead man died on it? I always thought the white color on the Baker boat suited it.

Now, back to the fun...

After very little deliberation, I am definitely in on securing the sponsorship rights to have Phoebe splashed down the side of the boat, and of course, as depicted in Fast Times in a red bikini. I am sure Kevin wouldn't mind, since she hasn't done anything since 1989! Easy call over Sally, although I will always consider her the official spokesperson for the MPO cause. Maybe we can make her spokesperson-emeritus, and not show her current bio to anyone, anymore....eeewww.

As for the endurance runs. We need to work ourselves up to this with persistence and thorough diligence. I say a perfect trial run would be at the First Annual Gorge Offshore Classic. A good run to Chattanooga and back could certainly prove our metal in terms of equipment preparation and solidify the team. Especially with the heady competition from Bayliner Offshore Racing and Team Allison!

Next could be the Key West to Cancun Run. Hell if Reggie can do it in eight and change with a cruiser, we should be able to accomplish it in forty-eight. Could be a b*i*t*c*h* (automated board censor can bite me BTW) getting back, after we drink all of the tequila in Cozumel. Somebody make sure to hit the GPS breadcrumb feature on the way out, please.

One point of contention already though. I like Buzzi drives over Arnies....

Great idea - baby steps! I'm already wavering on the Arnies after the Skater threw a couple sets of blades. We'll probably need to establish a skunkworks to do some T&E. I'm running an SEI Alpha drive, seems to be a nice piece. Maybe they're looking to get into the offshore game with some sponsorships. Surely we can find some magic gear lube additive to double their HP and quadruple their torque capacity.

Based on your recommendation I reviewed Phoebe Cates' resume and body of work via a google image search. She's in. I'd hit that so hard that the first guy to pull me out would be crowned the king of England. Sorry Sally.

The Gorge Offshore Classic seems like an ideal icebreaker. And if by "solidify the team" you mean drink bushwhackers and Tito's until we forget our names and **** our pants that sounds like a good plan.

BUIZILLA
04-25-2014, 11:37 AM
major topic derail....

carry on :thumbs

The Hedgehog
04-25-2014, 01:07 PM
There was a guy on scream and fly that put a pad on a Bayliner for grins. I will find him. I think that ideas like that have great promise in The Gorge Offshore Series!

BUIZILLA
04-25-2014, 01:11 PM
we could take the whaler and a box of drywall screws and fasten :hammer: a 4x8 sheet of plywood underneath it, and make it a massive wop board... :shift:

The Hedgehog
04-25-2014, 04:09 PM
we could take the whaler and a box of drywall screws and fasten :hammer: a 4x8 sheet of plywood underneath it, and make it a massive wop board... :shift:

I am sure that Jamie is already on that one!

roadtripse
04-25-2014, 04:51 PM
I am sure that Jamie is already on that one!

So. How deep is it out in front of A-Dock???

boldts
04-26-2014, 02:06 AM
major topic derail....

carry on :thumbs

Your not kidding there! LOL We started in an attempt to attend an offshore race in Jersey, discused how offshore isn't true offshore any more, the kind of offshore boats attempting to race these offshore races to developing our own Offshore Gorge Classic. Gotta love the thought of Donzi suppling us a ZRC to put diesels in with Fabio's drives behind those engines, but being a person who along with another person who tried to buy 2 Special Edition 22 Classics with just a few changes for speed done to them....... I don't see a ZRC in our future any time soon. Truth be said if that deal had gone through, I wouldn't be here today because I would have ended my life if I had to lose that Classic. Was very close to doing just that with the loss of the 22 I did have. Thank God for my daughter in my life! I believe the Bayliner with a board screwed to the bottom is a much better option for the MPO race team and that gorgeous woman from the red bikini team down in TX as our spit and shine girl, no way we'd go wrong. We'll sell so many race team t-shirts Fruit of the Loom will make us their idols! I gotta laugh because so many times I've gone off on dreams like this to be told by Len and the late Grizzly that I must have been smoking something or in Grizzly's case I wasn't comparing apples to apples. Randy would call me up and say..... Scott? What your describing isn't even close to what they are discussing in the thread. I like I'm sure many others miss that guy and talking to him at AOTH every year.

Now then...... an offshore race in Jersey in May of all times. After the winter we've endored up North here this year, I predict very ruff seas and maybe even little or no chance of cats even racing. Kinda like Atlantic City in Nov. I hope it happens for those attending. I wish all the participants a good safe race with no high winds churning up the waters. Have a fantastic weekend!

MadPoodle
04-26-2014, 07:24 AM
You guys arw waaaaaayyyy overthinking this. Just bolt a pair of super stranglers on it and be done with it..

And I am throwing in a vote for my favorite finger sucker above. Perhaps Phoebe on one side, Jessica on the other... Sammich!

roadtripse
04-27-2014, 05:26 PM
MPO sufferers, keep an eye on your woman! Size can matter... Who would have thought?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/23/penis-size-infidelity_n_5200248.html

The Hedgehog
04-27-2014, 10:36 PM
MPO sufferers, keep an eye on your woman! Size can matter... Who would have thought?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/23/penis-size-infidelity_n_5200248.html

Yes. That's a big hazard. It's an affliction that creates addiction!