Thread: Chesapeake Bay Classic Pre-1975 Boat Festival

Default Chesapeake Bay Classic Pre-1975 Boat Festival

Question: Do you want to display your pre-1975 Classic Donzi Boat? All the in-the-water space is sold out, but still call if you register have a Classic on a trailer for land display and join in the fun.

Description:
    Largest classic boat festival on the Mid-Atlantic coast. Judged show of 100 boats from Donzi, Grady – White, Chris-Craftrunabouts to Trumpy yachts, with Seminars, Nautical Flea Market, Kid's Activities, and Classic Boats for Sale. New: "The Arts at Navy Point" featuring juried artists & artisans on the Maritime Museum grounds. For more information visit www.chesapeakebayacbs.org

Event: Classic Pre-1975 Boat Festival

Location/Venue: Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
    St. Michaels, MD

Father's Day Weekend
    June 18, June 19, June 20

Hours: Fri. 11-5, Sat. 10-5, Sun. 10-2

Contact Information:

Chris Brown, 2010 Festival Promotions Committee Chair
    518-281-0045 or brcwb@aol.com

Chuck Warner, Dockmaster
    443-250-6030

Domimic Fiaschetti, past Club President
    410-437-8108 or Dominic@tigeraerials.com

Website for more information: www.chesapeakebayacbs.org

This is the non-profit Boat Club that puts together the Boat Show and Boat Festival that I belong to.

Note: Last year there was one of the about 50 made 18' Corsian model Donzi and some Sweet 16s.

Hi, I am a new member to the forum.
    Last edited by seabuddy; 05-22-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: new to forum

welcome to the forum

your event sounds great

exact theme we are trying to promote

welcome aboard !
    Proud Co-Founder - DMRS
    Skilled Co-Founder - KWOSG
    Idiotic Flounder - SBBR / WAFNC

The greatest risk is not taking one.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I want to see more Donzi folks and boats at this event. Just pre-call and pre-register your boat, no "just show ups" work well for this size event (do not quote me, but I think it uses 11 acres of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum grounds and several buildings).

if I may ask, why the pre-75 designation?

don't most events go with a -25 year back theme?
    Proud Co-Founder - DMRS
    Skilled Co-Founder - KWOSG
    Idiotic Flounder - SBBR / WAFNC

The greatest risk is not taking one.

ACBS rules have several classes for boats. A quick read on page xvii of the 2010 "book" showed me that a ACBS "Classic" is an any hull material boat built between 1943 and 1975, inclusive and "Early Contemporary" is any wood boat built 1976 to the year 25 prior to the current year. I am not a judge, so I wanted to avoid any misunderstanding about the year a fiberglass boat was built and if its one or another class. I understand that some longer standing ACBS members need to be "easied" into metal and fiberglass boats within a Boat Festival. If anyone has a 1975 or 1976 year boat should e-mail me at seabuddy@seabuddy.net and I will send a return e-mail back to that person the home telephone number of this event's Chief Judge (I think it wrong to post his telephone on a public boating board) and they, in my opinon, should talk to him about these model years. I just do not follow this year and hull material issue that closely. This Chesapeake Bay Chapter Festival club has about 275 members in it with about 30 regularly doing assigned jobs to make for a good show / Festival. I do some of the stuff, others do what interests them. I leave such fine points of what is best on this to others and only will join in such a discussion around a bottle of Jack in the middle of winter and in those discussions nobody listens to me. Frankly, everyone wants what they want out of a club that they belong to. I like boat rides, helping others in their garage in the off season, reading up on stuff, going to Festivals and other shows. What boats light a Hot spark for me might be different than another member. Fine by me. Since I have a slip-berthed cruiser now, I need others to give a runabout ride on lakes and tighter rivers. I go to club events and am slways invited to join someone's boat for a ride. Some are special, like a Jersey Speed Skiff, others are more main stream. Over time, our club involvement, is a lot of fun for me and my wife.
    Sorry, if I seem to be side-stepping your question.

I want to be a member of this Donzi board personally, not as a rep for this Chesapeake Bay Chapter of the ACBS. I should not speak for them on model years of fiberglass boats. I will say that I, personally, love an early Donzi.
    Note: I also am the Editor for an online daily boating lifestyle blog and also do not want to mix business with my hobbies.
    Last edited by seabuddy; 05-23-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Any one know if any of Don Aronow’s Donzi 28 is coming to this June 18-20 Boat Show Festival?

How about a Donzi classic Outboard?

No Donzi 28s I take it.

Chris,
    It sounds like a great event!!!

However, for most of us up here in the North East, it conflicts with the Lake George Spring Dustoff.
    http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthrea...assic-Dust-Off

We would love to see picures of the event, and hear about any other events you might have going on.
    Most of us are boat "junkies", not just Donzi fanatics.
    Capt. Clifton R.,
    Founding Member Donzi Marine Restoration Society
    Charter member KWOSG
    A-Dock "**** Yankee"

Email: Cliff@donzi.org

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=103611389683585

[SIGPIC]

Chris,

Thanks for posting. If things go well, maybe I can anchor in the harbor at St. Michaels...

Welcome to the board...hope I get to see you there.

Mike

'71 (that's a guess, but within a year or 2) Nova Marine 24 Sprint
    "Maybe it was injuns." -Miller’s Crossing

Yes, I'll post some photos after the event.

I believe there is a 25' Nova (wellcraft marine) coming to the show. Red likes his boat and showing it.

Nothing wrong with a Lake George event in my mind's eye. I have spent some time on the lake.

If you want to anchor out, watch out for the bottom. I dragged alot one year that I was on the hook.
    Last edited by seabuddy; 06-05-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Usually there are about 100 - 120 boats at this event. Of that 3 - 4 - 5 Donzi. What I would like is to see is an increase in the number or Donzis, such that they can show the crowd of roughly 6,000 folks that attend the event what Donzi is all about.

I am a member of the host club and this is by far that club's biggest event each year.

Like other clubs, the "Chesapeake Bay Chapter - ACBS" has club events through out the year for their members.
    Money does not drive the club, its that we find some "buddies" within the club that we like to hang with. Playing with boats and talking about them in the winter is fun to me.
    We are a big club with almost 300 members that may belong for various reasons. Out of that broad membership, a small group tends to be active with any given event.