• forget organized events, make it casual invite

7 24.14%
  • create territory groups

6 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Event proposals

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I'm guessing the Awakening will be the "BIG RUN" this year and then there will be many local runs though out the year. The Awakening is for everyone no matter how slow your boat is. I'm tired of looking at 22, 18's and where are the other great models ????? I also feel it needs to be financial friendly, so we can see new faces.
    Well if you are tired of looking at 22's. and 18's. I will bring my 16 in May....Ed

I'm guessing the Awakening will be the "BIG RUN" this year and then there will be many local runs though out the year. The Awakening is for everyone no matter how slow your boat is. I'm tired of looking at 22, 18's and where are the other great models ????? I also feel it needs to be financial friendly, so we can see new faces.

Guess we need to get the barge to AOTH this year - it fits all of your criteria! It's slow and isn't an 18 or a 22...

I know that you & Lenny and your much better halves were captivated by the bowrider experience in Chatt this summer.
    1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

OK ED .....Its my time to take a ride with you !!!!!!!!!! I would love to see the 14's and 16's as it's a great place to show case them .. Just think if we could get Poodle to flatbed his collection we would have them all .. lol lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by boldts View Post
    It wouldn't be an easy attend for the West coast owners, but it's pretty centralized for the East coast owners whether you be North or South.
    Scott, your West Coast owners are never in the right place so distance isn't an issue for these events. We buy a ticket, take off, get drunk, fall asleep, wake up, get off the plane, usually it is hotter, boat, get drunk, fall asleep, wake up, do it many times more, THEN, wake up, get on a plane. get drunk, fall asleep, wake up, usually it is colder and get off the plane

Very simple stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    you & Lenny and your much better halves were captivated by the bowrider experience in Chatt this summer.
    Chis, quite honestly, you're right. I would much rather hang with you, this group, everyone, drink beer, float in some warm cove somewhere with country music blaring in the background, observe scenery I don 't see at home and chat with interesting people than going 200 mph in a 16.

We can all do that on our own time. Everyone on this board can do that in their own environment, and be successful at it. Everyone has fantastic rides.

What we can't do in our " personal " bubbles is all be together, enjoy the comradery, the love of the boats and the " bond " that it has created. Our geographic distances, cultures, Governments and politics dissolve when the Brand gets on stage. Everyone is respectful, we entertain "personalities", if nothing else, we learn about others.

It makes it hard to see what makes us all "different".

We're not.

Thanks all.

That's what I like

I also feel it needs to be financial friendly, so we can see new faces.
    Cost was a big reason that this year will be my first. That's mostly because I would have had to close my business for a week-end and before the economy collapsed that would have meant losing $3,000 on top of the trip expense. I had considered coming alone and sleeping on the boat. I've bathed plenty of times in lakes (not in a marina though!). This year I will have the money to do AOTH right and I plan to run the boat and burn some gas! That's too far of a tow to just anchor it. I will have $ this year but maybe it could be made more affordable to others someway. Maybe a bargain package that doesn't include all of the food and the T-shirt and single people could double up on rooms with roll-away beds. Spend the money on gas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdchildhood View Post
    single people could double up on rooms
    Carl, you're one thinker, I tell you !!!

Here's what I'll do. Deneen will stay behind and feed all the wild deer, bear, elk and cougars and I will travel to AOTH alone. I will donate the use of my bed(s) to any women under 25 for the entire weekend and supervise

$$$ problem solved

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Chis, quite honestly, you're right. I would much rather hang with you, this group, everyone, drink beer, float in some warm cove somewhere with country music blaring in the background, observe scenery I don 't see at home and chat with interesting people than going 200 mph in a 16.

We can all do that on our own time. Everyone on this board can do that in their own environment, and be successful at it. Everyone has fantastic rides.

What we can't do in our " personal " bubbles is all be together, enjoy the comradery, the love of the boats and the " bond " that it has created. Our geographic distances, cultures, Governments and politics dissolve when the Brand gets on stage. Everyone is respectful, we entertain "personalities", if nothing else, we learn about others.

It makes it hard to see what makes us all "different".

We're not.

Thanks all.

That's what I like

Right on brother! What the bowrider lacks in WOT speed she more than makes up for with swimming hole capabilities.

We've been to Chatt three times (actually full crew twice, me once), and the runs are awesome, but the highlight for us has been the socializing. There isn't much better IMO than rafting up with a bunch of cool boats and drinking beer with some great folks. Or enjoying early morning coffee (or Bloody Marys) on the front porch of the floating cabin and BSign with the people on the porch next door.

I'm not a very outgoing, social butterfly-type guy, so the first year we went was kind of a shot in the dark. Glad it worked out! We will probably always own some flavor of Donzi just to have an excuse to show up at events.
    1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13
    - Bill Jordan

This is what happens to me. Nothing, nothing, nothing, Oh crap that's next week?
    To be honest I didn't even know we had a calendar here until just the other day. IMHO there should be a stick topic with a single post with the events and locations listed by date. Send a MOD/Admin a p/m telling of the event and they can update it that way it's all right there in the first post and not spread out over a long thread. Maybe a linked button (up by the Donate button) to a static page of events. I know topics will pop on the boards 2 weeks before the events but they are no help. It also wouldn't hurt if there was a "upcoming event" news line (or what ever they call it) in the header or top of page on the site.
    I commend DMRS for trying to get grass roots gatherings together to build a stronger community. The last 6 years have been rough for the boating community with high gas prices, shrinking wallets and depreciating boat values. It would be easy to just let it all fade away. Nice to see some are trying to not let that happen.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1972 John Allmand - Super Nova 19
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Super Nova 19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    This is what happens to me. Nothing, nothing, nothing, Oh crap that's next week?
    To be honest I didn't even know we had a calendar here until just the other day. IMHO there should be a stick topic with a single post with the events and locations listed by date. Send a MOD/Admin a p/m telling of the event and they can update it that way it's all right there in the first post and not spread out over a long thread. Maybe a linked button (up by the Donate button) to a static page of events. I know topics will pop on the boards 2 weeks before the events but they are no help. It also wouldn't hurt if there was a "upcoming event" news line (or what ever they call it) in the header or top of page on the site.
    I commend DMRS for trying to get grass roots gatherings together to build a stronger community. The last 6 years have been rough for the boating community with high gas prices, shrinking wallets and depreciating boat values. It would be easy to just let it all fade away. Nice to see some are trying to not let that happen.

The tyranny of the calendar is an obstacle, it bit us in the ass last year. Everything was tracking along and then we had a bunch of conflicting work/family events pop up. Agreed on setting up an annual sticky, maybe a single post with details per event so it doesn't get cluttered.

As far as expenses go, seems like these runs are a relative value compared to other boating vacations, especially when you factor in how much you get to run. The smiles per mile quotient is way up there, too. The dh crew has been spitballing a Bahamas trip for a few years now. Run from WPB to Abaco or Lucaya on a big center console, rent a condo, etc for 4 days. Even bringing & cooking our own meals and doing the crossing slow to conserve fuel we estimated at least 4x as much as a long weekend in Chatt.
    1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13
    - Bill Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Run from WPB to Abaco or Lucaya on a big center console, rent a condo, etc for 4 days. Even bringing & cooking our own meals and doing the crossing slow to conserve fuel we estimated at least 4x as much as a long weekend in Chatt.
    Chris, you can borrow this from me. BUT, think fuel numbers similar to the national debt. One thing it does know is it's way there and back I believe

Let's see, about 80 miles,... http://www.mapcrow.info/Distance_bet...eeport_BF.html , the boat will run high 50's and burn 40GPH so figure about 150 gallons to go across.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the Whitewater...

We'd go across on my buddy's 31 Ocean Master. It's a great ride, but the fuel costs are pretty staggering with the 2-smoke Suzukis. It was eye-opening when he installed the FloScans! We've got visions of sticking the wives in beanbag chairs up front with a cooler full of Coronas while we troll our way across.

We'd have to fill up in the Bahamas at least once at almost $6 a gallon, and more if we did a lot of island hopping or fishing.
    It'll get done at some point, just need to get our ducks in a row. Until then we'll stick with trailer boat trips to lakes in the Southeast!
    1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13
    - Bill Jordan

I'm pretty sure we solved the "agenda" thing at the 2005 1000 Islands run....
    SoundofThunderT2005[1].jpg

Cool 1000 k

Quote Originally Posted by boxy View Post
    I'm pretty sure we solved the "agenda" thing at the 2005 1000 Islands run....
    SoundofThunderT2005[1].jpg
    Still that way
    Some are going to bed @ 4 am
    Some R getting up
    One mans ceiling is another man floor.

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEO View Post
    Still that way
    Some are going to bed @ 4 am
    Some R getting up
    "Key Ingredient"...............the date (s). <------- (in advance). Everyone's schedule changes, and at times, at the last minute. No harm, no foul, catch you at the next event. Some have year-round seasons, others have four (4) months. I could probably plan a week's vacation around a date to a further destination for an event...with enough notice. Not so much on 2-weeks notice.

Boxy posted the solution to the "Agenda". The schedule of those dates and marinas, regionally, that could accommodate a bunch of crazy folks, with loud boats, that like to go fast, buy gas, eat, drink & be merry for a couple of days, and be allowed to come back next year seems to be the key.

Unlike you people, with a high-performance boat like mine, obviously I have sponsors I have to answer to...and neither they, nor I, can be anywhere close at the same time, but I do my best apparently, and they seem to like that...SEATOW ROCKS....shameless plug.

Phil S.