Thread: St. Michaels ACBS Antique & Classic Boat Festival

Default St. Michaels ACBS Antique & Classic Boat Festival

ACBS Antique & Classic Boat Festival
    St. Michaels, Maryland
    Chesapeake Bay Chapter of the ACBS presents

Father’s Day Weekend, June 17, 18, 19, 2016
    Fri. 11am – 5pm; Sat., 10 am-5 pm; Sun., 10 am-2 pm
    ADMISSION
    Individual Admission – Good for Two Days!
    • $5 per person for CBMM Members and member guests
    • $18.00 Adults
    • $15.00 Seniors 62+ & students with ID
    • $6.00 Kids 6-17
    • Children ages 5 and under are freeVisit www.chesapeakebayacbs.org for more information about the Chesapeake Chapter of the ACBS
    Visit our DropBox account to download high resolution images, or email mthomas@cbmm.org. All photos are © Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.
    Wooden classics, vintage race boats, and other antique and Chesapeake Bay-related boats are coming to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum for the 29th annual Antique & Classic Boat Festival in St. Michaels, MD. Hosted by the Chesapeake Bay Chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society (ACBS), this Father’s Day weekend event brings an era of by-gone days to the Miles River and CBMM’s waterfront campus.
    This year, the festival features a selection of Chesapeake Bay-built workboats, including the Chesapeake deadrise and buy boat seen dockside at the museum. Along with the East Coast’s largest collection of antique and classic boats, the festival’s signature Arts at Navy Point pavilion brings 70 juried fine artists, craftspeople, and vendors offering nautical and maritime-themed items for boat and home.
    Boats range from runabouts to yachts, including race boats, work boats, launches, hydroplanes, and utilities. Workshops and seminars, building demonstrations, family activities, and a nautical flea market will be available throughout the weekend, along with a selection of regional and grilled foods, music, and a Pyrat rum bar for libations and other drinks.
    Children’s activities include boatbuilding craft projects, and the Hagerty Insurance Marine Youth Judging program, where youth learn about the award-winning qualities of preserved and restored classic boats. Along the Fogg’s Landing side of CBMM’s campus, the festival’s Field of Dreams features an array of restorable classic boats and motors, along with other items in a nautical flea market sale.
    REMINDER: During CBMM festivals and special events, dogs ARE NOT permitted on Museum grounds, with the exception of certified service dogs. Leashed dogs ARE permitted on Museum grounds during regular business hours.
    Festival hours are Friday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Father’s Day, Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The festival includes two-day admission to all museum exhibits where authentic Chesapeake boats and traditions are highlighted. The event is $5 for CBMM members and children under six, or $18 for adults; $15 for seniors and students with ID; and $6 for children 6-17. Boat rides and food are an additional cost. For more information, call 410-745-2916.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1972 John Allmand - Super Nova 19
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Super Nova 19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Should have the Cig there in the water. Booked a B&B room in town this year--I intend to spend less time under the gun to finish and more enjoying the boats.
    "Maybe it was injuns." -Miller’s Crossing

Registration is now open for June 17-20 Chesapeake Bay-ACBS (St Michaels, MD) Boat Festival. Open that Annual Boat Festival tab and IN RED INK within the link below is the 2016 form as a PDF for this year's program and show. Note: new Monday event.

http://www.chesapeakebayacbs.org/information

Two in-water events this year. Friday and a new one on Monday.

I have do not have any role in this event, but am still a member of the club. E-mail me if you have a question. brcwb@aol.com

Both of you know the show. Do you feel that fiberglass gets a share shake?

Seems like it from where I sit (or at the absolute least, I couldn't say fiberglass doesn't get a fair shake). You guys were more than gracious and inclusive toward us, and I'm very much looking forward to returning this June. I suppose some folks might get to religious arguments about wood versus glass, but there seemed to be plenty of glass boats and enthusiasm for them, and the woodie crowd seemed as genuinely interested as anyone. 😀 Really, my sense was that there wasn't a divide at all, just people who enjoy classics.

I'd strongly encourage folks to come out with their boats, and to view the show. Great stuff, great people, great time. Lisa and I already booked a B&B in town and expect to be in the water this year. My goal is to spend Friday on the Miles, giving out rides to fellow ACBSers.

I agree with Mike. Our chapter has been great from day one with me. A very friendly and inviting group. From what I saw on the thread with the Florida show sounded the same.
    I do have to say if I would have read the letters to the editor in the latest issue of Rudder before I joined I may have not done it. I know these are open letters but they reinforce every stereotype of the ACBS.
    First, regardless if a year / style boat would qualify or not for entry into a show to refer to these boats as “garbage” is sickening to hear from a fellow ACBS boater or any boater for that matter.
    I know there is an issue with the cut off dates and how the acbs would come up with them. Like according to the old rules my old 1976 Donzi 18 wouldn’t qualify but it came out of the same mold as the earlier versions that do qualify. Then there is the 25 year rule. Is a boat from 1991 considered an antique or classic? And if not how many wood boats at these shows that were built in the last 25 years are? Should these boats be bumped for older glass boats? It’s not the Antique and Classic Wood Boat Society it’s the ACBS.
    These so called members also came up with ideas like, allowing glass boats to register and if a wood boat came in late they would bump the “garbage” boat for it, not bother allowing them to join because they will turn it into a modern day glass club that no one will be interested in, when it comes to dock space modern owners will run off “traditional” owner who will get mad and not come back, charge a lot more money for entry to shows to keep some out, let them join the club but not the shows, etc, etc.
    This is why some chapters are going to fail and I think the Chesapeake Bay chapter will survive. I know Chris’s goal when I first met him was putting out an olive branch to classic glass owners. The reason I even looked into it in the first place was seeing on Chris’s web page the FiberClassic Award the year before going to a 1973 Nova 24 at a show I would have never thought of entering before seeing it. I love wood boats as much as the next guy and probably a little more being I grew up with them but let’s face it they are a lot of time, skills and especially money not to mention the tools and space to do it in when it comes to wood boats. You can spend 10 grand buying 20 feet of kindling and then dump more then what my first house cost into one long before it’s ever ready for a show. And they are not getting cheaper being there is less and less of them. If they want the ACBS to be a snooty rich guys club, beside Ghost (lol) I can see where some would be put off with that kind of entry fee.
    The ACBS needs to step up. They need to figure out what they are going to do about the cutoff date (25 sounds too low even for me). What about boats like my old Donzi that the same boat was built for decades out of the same molds before and after the cut off dates. Justify new wood boats and not glass. If they are going to embrace glass like they say they need to step up and own it with reasonable rules, fair treatment and leave it up to the chapters to regulate their shows so they are not “over run” if any chapter is overly blessed by running out of space because of to many entered boats for a show. If they have too many entries of any class let everyone enter at full price and have a pre-show run off for the show slots. No reason wood owners would get overrun with proper chapter management. Get the rules fair and straight and there is no reason for wood and glass owners should have any issues.
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood

----The Michigan Chapter is also stepping up in a big way. I'm proud to be a member, and I'm not a particularly good member, but they tolerate me with all my faults. I managed to nab best of show with the Fino (1st fiberglass boat to do so at an ACBS meet, ever!). Ill take that to the grave with me as one of my all-time best days.......Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ----The Michigan Chapter is also stepping up in a big way. I'm proud to be a member, and I'm not a particularly good member, but they tolerate me with all my faults. I managed to nab best of show with the Fino (1st fiberglass boat to do so at an ACBS meet, ever!). Ill take that to the grave with me as one of my all-time best days.......Bill S
    Congrats, that's an amazing feat!

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    I'm overly happy with two best race boat wins (coming for #3 this year) with two glass boats. Best of Show.....WOW!

I know there is a lot of Donzi and other performance boat folks on the Bay, come on down. Even if you don't bring a boat. Mike and I should be easy to find.
    Its a great little town with hotels from basic to super high end, plenty of little shops and restaurants to explore. The Museum, the show, the flee market, the vendors, there's a lot to do. Or do nothing at all and take it all in with a drink in hand.

The registration is out >>>>>> http://www.chesapeakebayacbs.org/ima...Form_FINAL.pdf

Why wouldn't they let the 76 in?
    The other Scott

Life is short. Play with your dog

Co-Founder Donzi Marine Restoration Society
    Founding member SBM
    Scarred member KWOSG
    Dumbfounded Member SBBR / WAFNC

Criterion SS+
    X-18
    16-OB
    F-14
    Z-235
    2200 TE

Quote Originally Posted by MadPoodle View Post
    Why wouldn't they let the 76 in?
    At one time our chapters rules would not let a 1976 in because of the cutoff date. The point is there is not much difference between a 1973 that would have made it and 1976 that wouldn't. Now they are talking about a 25 year cutoff but what difference would there be between a 1990 and a 1991? Not like they are car styles that revamp their line every year. Even when Donzi was sold to a different company the hulls still came out of the same molds.
    Just a technical issue.

----I hesitate to mention this but nobody is looking at the HIN when you check in. If it walks like a duck. Just sayin!!!!!!!.......Bill S

Used to be 30 years I think? I like the new 25 year cutoff, opens up a lot of possibilities.
    The other Scott

Life is short. Play with your dog

Co-Founder Donzi Marine Restoration Society
    Founding member SBM
    Scarred member KWOSG
    Dumbfounded Member SBBR / WAFNC

Criterion SS+
    X-18
    16-OB
    F-14
    Z-235
    2200 TE

Default Where can I find this fiberglass article?

Where can I find this fiberglass article?
    Fiberglass boats were snubbed at the Clayton show last year and we will not be going this year for that reason.

We didn't care if we won anything but there was a fellow that brought a late 60'S outboard and displayed it in the water and they didn't even have the decency to judge it or ant glass for that matter and a judge was overheard saying "nothing for the glass boats this year"
    Thats OK, there are plenty of places for us to spend our money.

This year at the Tavares show fiberglass and wood was king! I agree that all the new builds made of wood get some special pass but they let a fer new fiberglass builds in and they too were a hit. Heck, we even had a fiberglass Ski Nautique 2001 on our dock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bertsboat View Post
    Where can I find this fiberglass article?
    Fiberglass boats were snubbed at the Clayton show last year and we will not be going this year for that reason.

We didn't care if we won anything but there was a fellow that brought a late 60'S outboard and displayed it in the water and they didn't even have the decency to judge it or ant glass for that matter and a judge was overheard saying "nothing for the glass boats this year"
    Thats OK, there are plenty of places for us to spend our money.

This year at the Tavares show fiberglass and wood was king! I agree that all the new builds made of wood get some special pass but they let a fer new fiberglass builds in and they too were a hit. Heck, we even had a fiberglass Ski Nautique 2001 on our dock.
    It was in last quarters "Stuffing Box" magazine in the "Open Exhaust" section. There was 2 letters that just made the ACBS look like total snobs. The latest quarter issue had to expand the Open Exhaust section for all the letters that came in blasting those 2 letters without mercy. Very nice to see and reaffirms my original impression of our national club. Never had a doubt about the Chesapeake Bay Chapter.